Zurn Pex Pipe

nelson_crn

Not familiar with it, but you can find it cheaper than flex PVC and in several colors, which could make a very nice looking install. However, I did find an article about PEX in wiki and this is an extract that got me worried about its use for reef tanks:

"PEX tubing cannot be used in applications exposed to sunlight, as it degrades fairly rapidly. Prior to installation it must be stored away from light, and needs to be shielded from daylight after installation. Leaving it exposed to direct sunlight for as little as 30 days may result in premature failure of the tubing due to embrittlement."

I am still trying to figure out if you can use PVC cement to join it to PVC fittings and blukheads.

If unsure, I would play it safe and get flexible PVC. You can get it from this guys: www.flexpvc.com also www.ffaquatics.com sells flexible PVC locally.

I've used PEX as part of my fish room renovation/build. However I did NOT use it in fish plumbing. The main reason is are:

1) it's less flexible the flex PVC

2) the fittings are more expensive than regular PVC fittings that you glue/tape

3) I read that if you connect/disconnect the fittings multiple times, after a while they will leak

Combining all of these above, I figure it wasn't worth the hassle and expense. Where I did use it was in rerouting some home plumbing. I had copper pipes that I wanted to reroute. Using PEX I was able to add valves and route the hot/cold water around some things. I did all of this without having to weld/sweat the pips back together. It was a 2 minute snip-push process to get all of those pipe reconnected without any mess. That was definitely worth the money for PEX!

You can see some of those connections around pics 20 and 22 in my build thread where I talk about painting the room.

FWIW, I did see Sean and AQUACO use this stuff for his plumbing. He had the returns from the main pump as well as some skimmer stuff plumbed up with it.

I tried using it a few years back, thinking that the quick-disconnect fittings would work like john guest fittings we use for RO plumbing. I wanted to connect various reactors (fluid, calcium, etc) for quick access. As Dave said, they started to leak after about 5 or 10 reconnections. Also the fittings are pricy.

I tried using it a few years back, thinking that the quick-disconnect fittings would work like john guest fittings we use for RO plumbing. I wanted to connect various reactors (fluid, calcium, etc) for quick access. As Dave said, they started to leak after about 5 or 10 reconnections. Also the fittings are pricy.

I was hoping to use it for the same thing, but I guess I'll go with the flex pvc. Oh well, thanks for all the info everyone!

Haven't used it but also saw it at Aquaco. You can use the fittings and remove the brass parts of them. Don't know that I would use the Zurn stuff, though, I went to high school with the Zurn kids and they had these miraculously large heads so :biggrin: ... not that that has anything to do with their products, just something funny to add!

I went to high school with the Zurn kids and they had these miraculously large heads so :biggrin: ... not that that has anything to do with their products, just something funny to add!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: