Base rock

JMsAquarium

Hi gang  :)

Would you use non live rock as base rock? What I have in mind is using medium big chuncks of non live rock as support on the bottom layer, then live rock on top of it.

What do you think? Has any one done something similar? If yes, how did you proceed and what ratio of non live rock have you used versus live rock (approx), and where could I find suitable and cheap rock in the area?

Comments and opinions are more than welcome.

Thanks

JM  :;):

My next tank (120 or larger  :;):  ) will definitely start with lesser expensive base rock.  In fact' I'll probably do a little agrocrete for my foundation.  Go to reefCentral or reefs.org and do a search on  base AND rock and agrocrete for alot of info on the subject.  On a large tank where live-rock would be very expensive, I'd probably go 2/3 base rock to 1/3 live rock.  Others will disagree... but they're probably not as budget-tight as I an also.

I think it is generally accepted that Larry is the tightest guy in the club  :p   and I agree with him on this one.  I would use deal coral skeletons if you can find them or dead base rock.

I used "cell pore" for a lot of my base.  I do not believe it is available for base rock any longer, after Kent bought the company  :( .  Anyway, it is full of life now.

Remember, LR often starts out dead.  In FLA, they throw rock over board is a "farming" area, let it sit for 6 months, then gather it and sell it for $10/pound.

Does anyone know if you can use "Tufa" rock? It is calcium carbonate), often with impurities of iron oxides (rust), which gives tufa its yellow ad red coloration.  Are the impurities enough to not recommend this for aquarium use?

Roozens has a "kill pile" of LR /coral skeletons/ stuff, they sell for $1.99 a pound.  There is good stuff for cured base rock there.  And occasionally, there is something real good in there. :O

That's what I thought too. And budget is an issue as I am setting up a  120 gal. :p  Hmmm...does it means I am trying to beat Larry's saving skills? :D

Next question: where's Roozens?

Good call on Tufa quazi, it was my next question :;):

I have used lime stome from the rock place on rt1 in springfield. 10Cent a lb.

I treat it with a good acid drip and then I soak it vinagar over night.. rinse it well then put in  your tank

I have 150 lbs of it in my tank with 75 lbs of live stuff, the base is grown over with as bright of a corraline as the live stuff.

Oh, and where's that rock place on RT1 in Springfield? Can you provide an approx address, such as a near intersection or known place?

Hehehe, given the amount of buckies I have to spend setting up this baby, I too better join el clubo del cheapo.

Thanks for the link Michael

Michael's going to Florida soon I think so you could ask him to drop off some dead rock in the Gulf at a designated location and plan a trip in 6 months to pick it up... :cool:

This is perfectly acceptable and doable. When I set up my 360 gal tank, I put probably 400 Lb of dead rock/coral skeletons and the 200 Lb of LR I ahd in my 125 on top of it. That was about 7 months at the end of April and now it is 100% covered with coralline algae and it is so well blended in that you would have a hard time picking out. Leave it there for a year and you'll ahve more life than you'll know what to do with.

The only advantage of LR to this is that LR comes withh all the spores and few cell organisms attached to it that will over the next year start to come out. I have stuff grow out of my rock that was not there 11 months ago. It did not just appear, but rather has been there all along. Can't have that happen with dead rock ???

Michael's going to Florida soon I think so you could ask him to drop off some dead rock in the Gulf at a designated location and plan a trip in 6 months to pick it up... :cool:

Now that's a good idea JonhnC.  :D

Hey Michael, don't forget to plot the location on a GPS. Then in a few years we can go all together and organize a club dive to collect the rock. We could start with a small quantity for starters. Let's say 5 tons?

Thanks Dgasmd, that's what I will do  :;):  I am planning to top off the dead rock with some Pacific mix and some Gulf rock.

you may want to try www.hirocks.com.  I got an order of 30# of this stuff.  very nice, very porous.  I think it was 43$ shipped.

Guest yrachmael

Any body interested in going collective and buying HI's tote?

That's $1,300 for 2,000 lbs of rock ! and save 50% !!

Now that would be cheap base rock!

:p

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yrachmael

Checked out Roozens.  Turns out I have driven past the place hundreds of times and thought it was only a nursery!.  They have a decent deal of live rock (from $4-$5)/lb but they also have a HUGE rubble tank that includes some snails if you pick carefully.  The rubble is $1.50/lb. and pieces are smaller that a large fist.  I put a layer of rubble over clean base rock and it is working fast.

By the way Roozens invertabrate selection is one of the biggest and nicest in this area.  I've been warned away from their fish by a lps owner who also purchases from them!