Summer meeting at the Aquarium this Saturday

Sikryd

I was thinking about taking the trip down there to see the Aquarium and hitting the summer meeting this Saturday.

Is the Aquarium worth checking out for 3-4 hours, or more like 1-2?

We have been down that way to go to the mall, Lincoln memorial and all that, is there anything else someone can recommend so we can check a few things out and kind of make a day of it.

I am from S. California, and the wife from Ohio - so we're really tourists when it comes to all the stuff the East coast has to offer. So I like cruisin' around and checking things out. Especially since we are only ~an hour away.

Is the $17.00 parking for all day pretty much the best deal? Or should be try the metro from Glen Burnie? I heard it is Marc or something, then you have to change over somewhere to get on the train that goes to D.C.

I am well versed in Subways and Trains since we lived in Tokyo for 5 years, so I wouldn't mind trying it. I just have no idea what the names are, where the stations are at or anything.

I'd like to make a nice day of it, then have a good dinner after the meeting before heading home. If anyone knows of an Indonesian food place down there, that would seal the deal, since the wife has been craving Nasi Goreng.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Make a day of it in DC.

If you're up for it and the weather cooperates, the best way to see the monuments is to rent a bike.

http://thompsonboatcenter.com/bikerent.htm

I doubt that you've seen all of the monuments. I'm not sure if they give you a lock, and I don't think you can go through the memorials like the FDR or WWII memorials with your bikes. So it might help to prepare with backpacks, water, a lock if you have it, etc.

As for parking, bring a fistful of quarters and try to plan hitting the different museums along the mall. The American History Museum was recently gutted and totally renovated. It's only been open for a few months. Definitely check it out. If you're patient and can plan on spending no more than 2 hours at each, you can get lucky with parking. Choose the museum that you park closest to. Let the fates decide! I actually did this about 2 weeks ago when my soon-to-be in-laws came into town. It worked out relatively well. Be very careful of parking tickets. The DC government has a huge shortfall, and they're trying to make up the revenue with parking tickets. It's so bad that the cops are complaining about getting parking tickets.

You could also make a trip to Northern Virginia and hit the Air and Space Museum annex by Dulles, and then make your way into DC. It's "free" but they charge for parking.

I've actually never been to the National Aquarium... I guess because I grew up in the DC area, I refuse to pay admission for a museum in DC. Haha. I'm assuming that the admission fee is waived at the social this saturday? This might be my only chance!

I could go for some Indonesian smashed chicken right now, but I don't know of a place to get authentic Indonesian food as of yet. There's a Malaysian place on M street near Dupont Circle.

http://www.malaysiakopitiam.com/

I've never been. I've always wanted to try but have always been overruled by my better half. She walked in once and walked right out because of a strange odor.

Edited by jaesun

oh, metro is horrible on weekends. expect delays of up to 20 minutes for trains. they also single track for maintenance, so you might have to wait even longer.

I was thinking about taking the trip down there to see the Aquarium and hitting the summer meeting this Saturday.

Is the Aquarium worth checking out for 3-4 hours, or more like 1-2?

We have been down that way to go to the mall, Lincoln memorial and all that, is there anything else someone can recommend so we can check a few things out and kind of make a day of it.

I am from S. California, and the wife from Ohio - so we're really tourists when it comes to all the stuff the East coast has to offer. So I like cruisin' around and checking things out. Especially since we are only ~an hour away.

Is the $17.00 parking for all day pretty much the best deal? Or should be try the metro from Glen Burnie? I heard it is Marc or something, then you have to change over somewhere to get on the train that goes to D.C.

I am well versed in Subways and Trains since we lived in Tokyo for 5 years, so I wouldn't mind trying it. I just have no idea what the names are, where the stations are at or anything.

I'd like to make a nice day of it, then have a good dinner after the meeting before heading home. If anyone knows of an Indonesian food place down there, that would seal the deal, since the wife has been craving Nasi Goreng.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

The aquarium really is more of a 1-2 or less hour thing. It's not big at all, but still pretty nice with some cool stuff. I would really recomend checking out the sant ocean hall in the natural history museum. It's a really great display with a bunch of interesting stuff, not to mention one of the nicest reef tanks I've seen, anywhere, as well as two giant squid (ok, maybe not as much of an attraction to you, but I was drooling :). As for the rest, I can't really help you. I really like using the metro when I (or we) go into DC though because it's easier and not as much of a hastle IMO.

Thanks for the help guys.

I found the restaurant we will be going to hopefully - she is pregnant, so tastes can change ;)

I'll have to do some research this week and kind of make a little plan then. We'll probably end up driving, just because I hate being stuck anywhere without a vehicle. I don't mind the parking issue. It is easy compared to Japan. $20 for an all day spot, is just the price you pay I guess.

I'll definetely look into doing the NHM and maybe a few others close by.

We're kinda into just cruisin' around and checking whatever out. We modern and contemporary art, so I'll have to hit that up on google and see what comes up for D.C. unless anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for the help guys.

I found the restaurant we will be going to hopefully - she is pregnant, so tastes can change ;)

I'll have to do some research this week and kind of make a little plan then. We'll probably end up driving, just because I hate being stuck anywhere without a vehicle. I don't mind the parking issue. It is easy compared to Japan. $20 for an all day spot, is just the price you pay I guess.

I'll definetely look into doing the NHM and maybe a few others close by.

We're kinda into just cruisin' around and checking whatever out. We modern and contemporary art, so I'll have to hit that up on google and see what comes up for D.C. unless anyone has any suggestions.

I went to Singapore Bistro about a year ago and found that there wasn't anything Singaporean about the food besides the names of the dishes. A lot can change in a year and maybe I went on an off-day.

I don't know why I didn't mention this restaurant earlier, but there's also Straits of Malaya which is on 18th and T St NW. It's across from Lauriol Plaza. I've been there a few times and would definitely go back. There's also an upstairs patio. Oh, if you see camera crews go by you, it's probably MTV and the Real World. haha. At Singapore Bistro and Malaysia Kopitiam which is a block away, you'll find parking garages. I think Penang which is also in that area is still closed due to fire. No garages near Straits of Malaya since it's more of a residential area.

http://www.straitsofmalaya.com/

Edited by jaesun

Jaesun - I looked at the menu and they have the Jakarta rice, which is Nasi Goreng. I'm not really looking for Singaporean or Malaysean food. I think the name is just that way since it is more of a popular trans-destination.

I'll check out the malaysean restaurant you posted.

So the Real World is filming down there huh? That might be fun to see :) The wife and I still watch that every now and then.

Well, that is fitting that it is right down the street from the Indonesian embassy. :)

The reviews look okay, no website though - A picture always helps when it is a hole-in-the-wall (my favorite restaurants!)

1_StraitsofMalaya_EXT_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Parking at the Ron Reagan Building is about $18 for the whole day. Right across from the Aquarium. Otherwise, you have to deal with street parking.

No charge for members at the meeting. THOSE WITH COOLERS REMEMBER THEN HAVE TO GO THROUGH X-RAY MACHINES TO GET INTO THE AQUARIUM!!

Parking at the Ron Reagan Building is about $18 for the whole day. Right across from the Aquarium. Otherwise, you have to deal with street parking.

No charge for members at the meeting. THOSE WITH COOLERS REMEMBER THEN HAVE TO GO THROUGH X-RAY MACHINES TO GET INTO THE AQUARIUM!!

Thanks Doug, I'll park there then. I parked over by the Department of Agriculture last time, at some underground hotel parking. It was about the same $, but further away.

Thanks Doug, I'll park there then. I parked over by the Department of Agriculture last time, at some underground hotel parking. It was about the same $, but further away.

The website for Straits of Malaya website seems to be working at the moment. I noticed that it wasn't this morning. But loads of Real World DC sightings in that area since their house is located on 20th and S St NW. The only other "tourist" destination in that area would probably be the back entrance to the Hilton where Reagan was shot.

Then you'll want to check out the east wing of the national gallery of art, if you've never been there. Its on the mall, easy walking distance from the aquarium. Also, the Hirshorn which is the big circular building more or less across the mall.

Edited by miniflea

For those of you whom are heading in for the social... make sure to plan your routes accordingly due to the motorcade of Ted Kennedy and burial at Arlington National Cemetery set to take place at the same time on Saturday. It's gonna be a mess downtown with potential street closures, of press, secret service, police, crowds, cars, etc. I was planning on heading in and parking at my building which is a couple of blocks from the national aquarium, but not sure now.