Check valve/ Shoe polish on stand

Stu

I am thinking of installing a check valve on my return line. My sump is large enough that it won't overflow when the return line siphons back down when the pump turns off. The water section rises enough over the fuge overflow, however, that I think chaeto pieces and other stuff will float into the pump section. Basically, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of putting a check valve on. Will it significantly reduce flow? Enough to warrant not putting one on?

Also, I have some scratches on my stand, which is basically a reinforced kind-of-antique armoire. It has a nice cherry finish on it, but the top has gotten a lot of light scratches from moving the tank on and off. I have used one of those stain markers to cover some of these, but I'm looking for something that I can rub on to give it a nice finish and cover the scratches. I've already wiped it down with Lemon Oil, but I heard that shoe polish works well. Has anyone tried this? Will it hurt the finish on the wood?

I am thinking of installing a check valve on my return line. My sump is large enough that it won't overflow when the return line siphons back down when the pump turns off. The water section rises enough over the fuge overflow, however, that I think chaeto pieces and other stuff will float into the pump section. Basically, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of putting a check valve on. Will it significantly reduce flow? Enough to warrant not putting one on?

I used a check valve on my Mag 5 return. I never tested how it affected flow, but I didn't think it was significant. I did read however, that check values always ultimately fail, and when I recently did some maintenance on my pump (about a month ago), I did notice that the check value wasn't closing and took it off the line. I bought and installed the check valve in Jan 07.

In your scenario, its probably a nice to have if you don't want to your water level to rise too much over the fuge. I don't think I would trust one to stop water if your sump did NOT have enough volume to handle the drain back.

Jon

My feeling is that check valves cause more problems than they fix, but I do not have personal experience with them.

It is one of those things that seems nice on paper but just doesn't work well. Like float valves :)

I have two check valves on my tank and they have never caused any problems. The ones I have are from BRK and they are the rubber flapper type. I did not notice any reduction in flow after they were installed. If you use the spring type like the ones they sell at Lowes or HomeDepot then you will see a reduction in flow.

I use true union check valves on all my systems. I don't use them to put more water in the sump than it can handle when the power goes out, but rather for maintenance of the pump. I don't know if they restrict flow much.