Girlfriend got me this today...

Jason

Pretty happy to come home from work today. My girlfriend and I had our 3rd year annv today and she knows im dieing to set up a tank. Were moving in a little over a month from now so she got me this to get me started. Came home and had a Tom Deco Kit 3 for me. She then surprised me and took me to Marine Scene and said pick out some rock and sand and anything else you may need for now. So ended up talking to the guys at Marine scene and getting 3 lbs of figi rock and some live sand. Got it home and got everything set up. Cant wait to see this thing in full action on my desk at the new house going strong. Sorry for the cell phone pic. You get the idea though.

jasonnanotank1.jpg

Congratulations! I have one and they're great. Just beware of jumpers with the open top and also a lot of evaporation. I modified my HOB and turned it into a fuge w/LR, LS and chaeto. I also added a nano powerhead insde the tank for more circulation. I get a streak of protein on the top that looks like an oil slick. I should look for a nano protein skimmer but I just place a paper towel on it every now and then.

I started out with 2 firefish, 2 pom pom crabs, 2 sexy shrimp, a feather duster, 2 Borneman anemones, a few different colored shrooms, snails and hermit crabs, a frag of green star polyp and 2 tiny gorgonians. My water changes consist of 1 cup of water every 3-4 days. I top off a cup and a half of water a day.

I had a tailspot blenny in it but it jumped the first night. I made a makeshift egg crate top with a piece of acrylic glued on and then got 2 firefish. They jumped too. The 2 pom pom crabs and 1 sexy shrimp just disappeared.

Have fun with it.

Pretty happy to come home from work today. My girlfriend and I had our 3rd year annv today and she knows im dieing to set up a tank. Were moving in a little over a month from now so she got me this to get me started. Came home and had a Tom Deco Kit 3 for me. She then surprised me and took me to Marine Scene and said pick out some rock and sand and anything else you may need for now. So ended up talking to the guys at Marine scene and getting 3 lbs of figi rock and some live sand. Got it home and got everything set up. Cant wait to see this thing in full action on my desk at the new house going strong. Sorry for the cell phone pic. You get the idea though.

jasonnanotank1.jpg

She sounds like a keeper. Become a member and I am sure other members will offer you some stuff to get you started as well. Where are you located?

Update:

Tonight, went and got a night light and got a power head to improve circulation in the tank. Plan with the nano is to run mainly smaller/softer coral. From there Id like to have a emerald crab and your normal hermits, and a turbo snail and 1 fish. Nothing crazy. Just a real small reef tank. So far its looking nice. hopefully ill ad some soft corals in the near future. (no not tomorrow) lol.

Hey guys. what would be a good thing to ad to start? thinking of adding some mushrooms or something like that. any advice would be great

Like above, I would let it cycle for a little while. You might be able to sneak in a small hermit to begin with though. ;)

Did you cycle with water and sand from an estabished tank? Are you parameters all within normal limits? I started with 1 hermit crab and 1 snail. After these guys were doing well I added shrooms, sexy shrimp, 1 fish, etc..

Hey guys. what would be a good thing to ad to start? thinking of adding some mushrooms or something like that. any advice would be great

J,

I have 3 of the filter replacement cartidges for a TOM tank I used to have.

PM me and I will send them to you...I have no use for them.

Also, be aware that there are exposed metal parts in the pump...if the spindle breaks it will rust and then nuke your ENTIRE tank :cry: ...which is why I got rid of mine. You may consider upgrading to an Aquaclear 10 or some suck...easy to turn into a new refugium. Also, the lights will support some softies but not much else...and liggle for color. YOu might also want a small clip on actinic ligh upgrade ~18W.

Just my two cents...lemme know about the filters.

E

J,

I have 3 of the filter replacement cartidges for a TOM tank I used to have.

PM me and I will send them to you...I have no use for them.

Also, be aware that there are exposed metal parts in the pump...if the spindle breaks it will rust and then nuke your ENTIRE tank :cry: ...which is why I got rid of mine. You may consider upgrading to an Aquaclear 10 or some suck...easy to turn into a new refugium. Also, the lights will support some softies but not much else...and liggle for color. YOu might also want a small clip on actinic ligh upgrade ~18W.

Just my two cents...lemme know about the filters.

E

Hi Evan, thanks! I would love to get those from you. I also have added a actinic light as well as a power head as well as a few other things (pictured) and some not. I also have red mushroom's in the tank as well. This has been going for a little and so far everything seem's to be doing very well. I might have to upgrade as you were saying, last thing I need is to nuke the tank lol.

On to the update/pics.

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

worm.jpg

HOPEFULLY ill have something else new in there in a week or two. But for now its really nice to look at with the normal lights off and the atanic lights on.

Added last week from Fin's and feathers

1 emerald crab. Has been doing very well.

Today im adding

a few snail's/Hermits and a yellow watchman goby also from fin's and feather's.

Will take pics later tonight.