lighting question

GaryL

ok so i'm setting up a 40g breeder and was planning on putting a 250w MH with a radium 20K in it.

would the 250w be to much light?

would i need to supplement any other light in your opinions?

would i need actinics and if so go VHO or T5?

thanks in advance.

Since the 40g is shallow I think you would be fine with a less wattage light like a 150 or 175. I would go with a 4 or 6 bulb T5 setup.

If you do go with the 250w 20k you will want some T5 lights also so you have some kind of dawn/dusk effect instead of the tank going from full 250 watts to nothing. It also gives you more viewing time instead of the 6 hours your MH would be on.

(edited)

I think i would go with a 150 watt MH. The tank is shallow and a 250 watt would be to much. It would also cause a little more temp. problems. A couple T-5's would not be a bad thing to give some color and also like stated in the post above ( Coralhind).

Edited by lhcorals

I've got a 400w 14k with 2) 32w pc's. Light is suspended 12" above surface. Still needs a heater otherwise it runs cold.

How many hours a day are you running your MH?

Since the 40g is shallow I think you would be fine with a less wattage light like a 150 or 175. I would go with a 4 or 6 bulb T5 setup.

If you do go with the 250w 20k you will want some T5 lights also so you have some kind of dawn/dusk effect instead of the tank going from full 250 watts to nothing. It also gives you more viewing time instead of the 6 hours your MH would be on.

I've got a 400w 14k with 2) 32w pc's. Light is suspended 12" above surface. Still needs a heater otherwise it runs cold.

i guess one issue for me is that i already have the 250wMH and i also have some retro pc ballasts and lights..but need new bulbs for...but i think i would prefer the t5s. i think the way i measured it the bulb would be a little over 12" from the water and i have a chiller if i have heat issues.....

coralhind, do you have any ballasts that would fire some 24" or 36" t5 bulbs for sale? i think we talked about it at frag fest.

I think i would go with a 150 watt MH. The tank is shallow and a 250 watt would be to much. It would also cause a little more temp. problems. A couple T-5's would not be a bad thing to give some color and also like stated in the post above ( Coralhind).

well there are options i see on ebay with 150w MH and t5 combos that are inexpensive....but i never used DE bulbs before.

thanks for the replies!

Why is 250 too much? The 400 is perfect for a 40. If you already have a 250, it will be fine. 150's are kind of weak and are best used as a book light. I grow zoas, shrooms, softies, LPS, SPS, and clams with great results. I use the pc's because they come in various combinations. I like the 10k/460nm smartpaq bulbs in particular. PC's and fans run about 12 hours and halide runs abot 8 hours. I keep the condo at 74 degrees and use a 50w heater to keep the temp around 80 in the tank.

Why is 250 too much? The 400 is perfect for a 40. If you already have a 250, it will be fine. 150's are kind of weak and are best used as a book light. I grow zoas, shrooms, softies, LPS, SPS, and clams with great results. I use the pc's because they come in various combinations. I like the 10k/460nm smartpaq bulbs in particular. PC's and fans run about 12 hours and halide runs abot 8 hours. I keep the condo at 74 degrees and use a 50w heater to keep the temp around 80 in the tank.

my diy has the smartpaq bulbs...i was actualy loosing a ric and it was shrinking...when i moved stuff over from the 150 i placed the ric high up closer to the PC and it actualy is rebounding. which is making me happy. i have the 2x65w ballast that marine scene sells or used to sell.

First off, a 250w halide is definitely not too much. I have a 250w 10k in a lumenarc reflector above one of my 40 gallon breeders and it is fine. Only thing I would do differently is use a 14k bulb. I also have a Tek light above my other 40 gallon breeder. Haven't had the t5's for that long so I am not to sure about growth, but it deffinitely looks better than any single halide pendant could.

IMG_1227.jpg

I currently have a 250w Current Outer Orbit with 4 24w T5s running over my 40g breeder. I haven't had any problems. If you are going to go with suppplementation, I would go with VHOs, not T5s. I wish the Outer Orbit had a VHO option and not just T5s or PCs.