What the heck is this?

Nate

(edited)

One of my zoanthid frags has this flaky green algae growing all over it. I noticed it about a month ago and used tweezers to pull it all off. But a couple weeks later it was back. It has not spread to any other frags and there is no sign of it anywhere else in the tank except for this one frag. It is choking out the zoanthid polyps to where they can't even open up anymore. What is it and how do I get rid of it permanently?

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Edited by Nate

Can you put it in a different tank with different herbivores? Maybe a different fish will have an appetite for it. Or put it on the sand bed where hermits can help keep it under control.

Jon

Do a search for Dictyota Algae. If that's what you have remove the plug from the tank (I'd throw it completely away). Trust me when I say you do not want this stuff spreading. It's toxic and very few things (and I mean one or two and they are hit and miss) eat it and it can flourish in very very low nutrient systems. It'll also kill your coral that it touches by growing over the skeleton and digging roots into it. Picking it off also seems to spread it if a little piece lands somewhere and stays for very little time. It tops my list as the absolute worse thing you could ever get in your tank.

(edited)

Stephen, Yup that is definitely what I have. The frag that it is growing on is some hulk zoanthids that are growing over a piece of rubble rock that is glued to a frag disc. The problem is that the algae is actual growing on the flesh in between each zoa polyp. The frag disc itself has no algae on it. There is no way to throw out anything without throwing the zoas away too. There has to be another way. I did a a quick google search but couldn't find much info on this specific type of algae. Does anyone know of a site that has relevant info?

I found a better picture for people that might have had some experience with Dictyota and not known its name.

Dictyota_dichotoma_d.JPG

Edited by Nate

I know it sucks but I'd sacrifice the zoa's.

There's not much information to be had on it. I've spent countless hours reading everything I could find that gave even the slightest bit of suggestion concerning it in a reef tank. Most of the stuff deals with it in natural habitats. Like before I mean it when I say you absolutely do not want this to take hold in your tank. I've read hydrogen peroxide kills it (along with every other algae) but that's something I'd never add to my tank. API makes an algaecide called Algaefix Marine that's supposed to be completely reef safe but Dictyota isn't listed as a test subject. I'm actually considering giving AlgaeFix a try just to see if it'll work. The only way I've been able to kill patches of it from my rock is boil/steam the entire rock. But if one little piece stays behind it's back again. I originally got it from a clam and I've still not been able to rid it completely from my tank. I made the mistake of leaving it unchecked at first because it's an attractive macro. Never again.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!

I moved the frag of Hulk Zoas from my frag tanks to my 120 main display and a week later it is Dictyota free! I saw some hermits picking at it. My frag tanks don't have hermits and my main tank has an ARMY of them.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

IMG_1282.jpg

Edited by Nate

Red Dichtyota can be a problem while the green and blue varieties don't seem to be as prolific. Marine Scene is infested with the red type.

Really? That's a strong statement. Any proof? Never saw any of this in there before. That's not to say it hasn't shown up before, but "infested", really? Come on now...

I tried Marine AlgaeFix and... Marine AlgaeFix = Dead Dictyota. If you end up with this stuff in your tank and make the mistake of letting it be cause it looks nice AlgaeFix will take care of it. It takes about 6-8 dosings to start to see the difference. By the 12-15th dose there's won't be much of it left. AlgaeFix has also been 100% safe on my end. Haven't lost a thing from dosing it and plan on continuing until I can't find even a leaf of Dictyota anywhere in my tank. I've been dosing 1 ml more than I needed and still no troubles. It'll also eventually kill your other macro algae so it's best to remove it like I did and place into another tank while you're dosing. It's been great for getting bubble algae to release and float away also.

Really? That's a strong statement. Any proof? Never saw any of this in there before. That's not to say it hasn't shown up before, but "infested", really? Come on now...

I wouldn't say infested but they definitely have it..

I had this stuff in my last tank and it spreads quick an is impossible to remove from the rocks an will smother your corals to death...

I like Dichthyota sp. The blue and green are especially nice but seem to be slow growers. The red is a faster growing species. I have introduced all 3 to my system only to have the red run rampant until I added a Sailfin Tang. The green and blue succumbed to algal succession.

Marine Scene has lots of the red in many of their system tanks. Not to say that it is bad, but unless you have a way to control it....

Not trying to smear MS, just pointing it out if you'd like to see what it is capable of.