Perfecto Aquariums

steveoutlaw

I've been dying to get a 60g cube tank and turn it into an all-in-one. Since I couldn't find one by any of the big name tank makers, I went with glasscages. Well, wouldn't you know it.......the tank leaked. Rather than deal with their horrible customer service, I took the tank apart and re-sealed it. Well, my wife was too nervous about a homemade tank and didn't want me to set it up so I sold it.

Right after I sold it I saw that Perfecto was coming out with a 60g cube. I talked to the wife and with her reluctant consent (you're setting up ANOTHER tank???) went ahead and ordered one. When the tank arrived I tried to put the internal sump I had built for the glasscages tank in it........but it wouldn't fit like it should. :why: Come to find out, the Perfecto tank is actually only a 52g cube and the interior dimensions only measured 22-1/2" instead of 23-1/2". So, I thought I was absolutely screwed and would have to re-do the internal sump area (more $$$), figure out another skimmer to fit in it (more $$$), and have to explain all this to the wife (more nagging).

So, I e-mailed Perfecto customer service and told them my issue. They replied that they determined the capacity of the tank by the outer rim measurements (which extend 3/4" out from the glass rather than 1/8" like normal tanks) and not the actual inside diameter of the tank. I e-mailed them back and explained what I was doing and that I thought it to be misleading advertising to say it's a 60g cube when it's really only 52g (I mean, I could understand if it was only a couple of gallons, but 8 gallons?). Well, to make a long story longer, Perfecto called me and discussed what I wanted to do to try and make this tank work. When they realized that this tank wouldn't work with what I wanted, they offered to build me a custom tank that would work with my sump and charge me the SAME PRICE as the 60g cube. They are also shipping it to me free of charge and are paying to ship the original tank back.

TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

There has to be a catch...

When have you ever known ANYTHING to work out better than expected for Steve???

:)

bob

Good job Steve. It never hurts to call the mfr and discuss the issues with them. Especially in this economy, I'm sure all of the discretionary spending vendors (at least the smart ones) should be willing to work with their customers.

Going forward, when faced with problems it never hurts to call the mfr and be polite. You never know what they might be willing to do. Heck I didn't know that perfecto was even willing to consider custom tanks...

BB

Thanks guys. You know, they did start off towing the company line and saying that "that's just the way it is", but after talking to them and explaining my side of the story they really seemed anxious to help.

There has to be a catch...

When have you ever known ANYTHING to work out better than expected for Steve???

:)

bob

Ok bob.......I'm gonna remember that!! :clap: