how to test ballasts??

treesprite

This is the endcap I use for my T5 lights.

Regular endcaps don't fit well here, so I thought I would try a wire terminal instead. The tabs are a little too narrow to fit the bulb connectors, but a little tweaking with needlenose pliars did the trick and it's a very snug fit. (I forgot to put heat shrink tubing over this terminal, but will do so when I change bulbs.)

gallery_267_442_37408.jpg

But what if it gets wet & salt creeped?

I can't believe I forgot to bring the PC fixture with me today. Geesh!

When I called Current about getting my Outer Orbit Pro's T5 Ballast replaced, they sent me to marineandreef.com. They don't have the end-caps listed, but you might try to call them and see if they can get them. It seemed they were the preferred parts dealer for Current.

I like the DIY repair Jon offered. It should be safe from salt and moisture as long as you keep the acryllic cover over the bulbs. If you decide to put anything over the end to protect it, be careful as it could melt.

But what if it gets wet & salt creeped?

It's positioned so that it doesn't get splashed, so there's no salt creep. The biggest hazard is touching the connector when the lamp is energized, resulting in an unpleasant shock. I look at it as incentive to learn not to touch electrical things with a conductive fluid all over my hands.

Jon

The ballasts in the fixture have 2 wires on each end, not just one like you have connected. There are wires going from endcap to endcap to connect them to the same ballast.

The ballasts in the fixture have 2 wires on each end, not just one like you have connected. There are wires going from endcap to endcap to connect them to the same ballast.

Forrest, the only reason you see two wires coming out of an end cap is because the circuit is broken by the end cap, effectively there is only one circuit there. When you twist the bulb into position the bulb lights because you have closed the circuit. In the photo above there is no end cap therefore there is nothing to break the circuit and only one wire. You can think of the end cap as a bridge connecting the two wires.

If you decide explore fixing your lamp, I suggest doing it under the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing, I would hate to see any one get hurt. I believe we have given you enough information to be dangerous at this point! :eek: good luck!

The T-5 ballast IS WORKING and is currently operating bulbs :) The known good ballast (when I thought this one was bad) is not connected. I'm very happy that both ballasts work!

The bulbs on a single ballast will not work individually, there has to be something connected to both sets of wires (i.e., endcaps) and the endcaps on the switch end have to be connected to each other. How would I connect the "endcaps" if the "endcaps" are just those wire things?

Safety note: I unplug the fixture to mess with the wires... I just keep plugging and unplugging.

I bought some of those type wire connectors (and some paint-on electrical "tape" to cover the outside of them), so I'll find out later if the bulbs will work with those without being connected to each other like the endcaps would be.