cheap 2 part

basser9

Walmart has in there pool section a 12LB resealable bag of A&H BAKING SODA FOR ONLY 8.00........COMPaRE 2PART.COM PRICE OF 8LBS FOR 24 or there 45lb bucket for 85 and you can save some real cash....at walmart 48lbs would run you 32.00........now i need the calcium side for the same cheap price.......LOOKING FOR TETRAS PRODUCTS......tetra flakes/tetra94/tetra80 or a product used for concrete called tetra express or express rm......mortons calcium chloride is also a tetra product..............I HAD A 50LB BAG of old Dow and only paid 20.00 dollars for it hopeing someone comes across one of these products.

Walmart has in there pool section a 12LB resealable bag of A&H BAKING SODA FOR ONLY 8.00........COMPaRE 2PART.COM PRICE OF 8LBS FOR 24 or there 45lb bucket for 85 and you can save some real cash....at walmart 48lbs would run you 32.00........now i need the calcium side for the same cheap price.......LOOKING FOR TETRAS PRODUCTS......tetra flakes/tetra94/tetra80 or a product used for concrete called tetra express or express rm......mortons calcium chloride is also a tetra product..............I HAD A 50LB BAG of old Dow and only paid 20.00 dollars for it hopeing someone comes across one of these products.

Harvey Salts in Baltimore has them. Peladow calcium pellets 50 Lbs bag and Mag pellets 50 Lbs bags both for under $20

I've not found Tetra myself, though my search was limited. Tetra has a dry calcium chloride manufacturing plant in Lake Charles, LA, and contracts with a plant in China. The LA was apparently hit pretty bad by Katrina a few years ago and, according to sources in the industry, Tetra went to the Chinese plant for all of their Calcium Chloride as things were put back in order. These same sources revealed that the plant they went to is the same plant that produces CForce calcium chloride. This is interesting because some hobbyists have reported good results using CForce. Though no chemical analysis seems to be available (at least, not like Dow's pre-bromide product which had Randy Holmes-Farley's analysis to back it up), it may be that CForce is a substitute for Tetra. Short Tetra's ready availability, Dow's products (including Peladow) are regaining traction in the hobby as the bromide levels have been deemed tolerable with regular water changes. However, CForce may also be an option. Both Peladow and CForce are stocked at Harvey Salts.

I ADD 2 CUPS of calcium a day and the bromine would be thru the roof.....playing with fire in my opinion messing with any Dow calcium unless you have a small tank........First i heard of gforce but it has to be made the same way as tetra so i am going to get some........wonder why Harveys doesn't carry tetra brands......ever try any of there soda ash

I ADD 2 CUPS of calcium a day and the bromine would be thru the roof.....playing with fire in my opinion messing with any Dow calcium unless you have a small tank........First i heard of gforce but it has to be made the same way as tetra so i am going to get some........wonder why Harveys doesn't carry tetra brands......ever try any of there soda ash

As long as your doing at leat a 10% water change a week your bromine levels will remain very low.

What I like about bulk reef supply is they sell not only sodium bicarbonate, but soda ash. With the ash, you do not have to bake the stuff to drive off the CO2. Also, I can get everything at one place and not search everywhere for products at different locations. But, to each their own, right.

(edited)

Not sure why they don't carry Tetra. I assume it's because they already carry two other brands.

I've never tried their soda ash. But, then again, I don't dose two-part. I use kalk and a calcium reactor, and only use calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate supplement my change water (IO) and to correct occasional imbalances.

Two cups of calcium a day? Or two cups of two-part solution? If the latter, that's about 63 grams of DowFlake or about 50 grams of PelaDow (per 2 cups of RHF's Improved Two-Part recipe). If you take a look at this thread, you'll see that the increase in bromine levels using new Dow products is considered inconsequential in light of what's already present in many artificial saltwater mixes. Inconsequential, that is, if you're performing regular water changes. If not, then any impurities added will eventually build up if not exported by other means.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1527547

Edited by Origami2547

For a 200 gal system using 2part.com is not cheap......harveys has a 50lb bag of soda ash for 25.00 i think....dont do regular water changes just went a year with out one........The process that tetra uses compared to Dow's makes tetras product so much purer that even without the bromine issue i want tetras calcium.

Without regular water changes, any unconsumed impurities, bromine and otherwise will build up. Tetra's process is a limestone process using hydrochloric acid to form the calcium chloride. It is REPORTED to be purer but has not to my knowledge been indepently verified. If you find a local souce for name brand Tetra, please post it. Good luck in the search. Otherwise CForce may be an alternative, or the stuff from BRS.