Green hair algae...

lanman

I added a 40-gallon frag tank to my 50-gallon frag system a couple of weeks ago. All was perfect, but I only had a 4-bulb light on it, so was only using the brighter part of the tank. Then last weekend I got a new 6-bulb fixture. Now I have little tiny green hair algae growing on everything. None growing in the other tank on the same system.

I just cut the lights back two hours per day - does that sound like it's probably what's causing the algae?? Or could it be some kind of 'new tank' thing ... even though it's not showing up in the original tank??

Thanks,

bob

I am having the same problem cant seem to control the algae in my 40 gallon frag tank.Have shortened the light timing still hasnt helped.Just can tfigure this one out.

Jim

I cut the lights back by 2 hours per day, and it has made a big difference. The snails are starting to catch up, now. I already run a reactor with GFO on the system.

bob

This could be due to phosphates especially if you are not using RO water.

Try a phosban or chemipure elite. Will take time to rid all of the hair algae and you will have to manually remove some of the hair algae

Good luck!

I installed the RO/DI filter before I installed the tanks... :)

This is an odd situation because there are two frag tanks in this system. Only the NEW 40-gallon tank is having the algae problem. The 33-gallon tank, that has been running for 2 years, has a different kind of algae growing, none of the hair algae. Same water flowing through both.

bob

I can't remember what the setup is but if its new eggcrate supposedly it can leach phosphates into the water. I'd say test the water for phosphates but if there is HA or other algaes for that matters then they are going to absorb more than can be tested. If its on the eggcrate then it will eventually pass, otherwise there must be something contributing to it. Do you feed frozen food? Supposedly a lot of frozen foods have phosphates and most people recommend melting the cubes in tank water, giving them a good rinse in tank water, then saturate with vitamins etc, then feed. Hope this helps.

I installed the RO/DI filter before I installed the tanks... :)

This is an odd situation because there are two frag tanks in this system. Only the NEW 40-gallon tank is having the algae problem. The 33-gallon tank, that has been running for 2 years, has a different kind of algae growing, none of the hair algae. Same water flowing through both.

bob

Bob,

Sounds like the two variables are lighting and grazing. Differences in the number, age, height, and duration of your lights could make one tank have more algae than the other. Also, the algae could be growing in your older frag tank, but if you have snails or an herbivorous fish, they could be eating it faster than it can grow.

Jon

Bob, I had the same exact problem with my tank. Get some Kent Tech M and raise the mag levels to around 2000ppm for a couple weeks. This is what I did. High mg levels have no effect on corals. I also added about 50 astrea snails. I am hair algae and bryopsis free now.

Bob,

Sounds like the two variables are lighting and grazing. Differences in the number, age, height, and duration of your lights could make one tank have more algae than the other. Also, the algae could be growing in your older frag tank, but if you have snails or an herbivorous fish, they could be eating it faster than it can grow.

Jon

Possible... I have few snails, a few hermits, and no fish in the new tank. The other one does have a lawnmower blenny; he would keep it off the glass, I think. I have more and larger snails per gallon in the 33-gallon tank, also.

I feed that tank about 3-4 mysis shrimp a day, for the hermits, or anything that might be in the rocks and wants to graze. The new tank is bare-bottom. It continues to improve since I reduced the lights. I also intend to get more snails. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

bob

Get yourself a rabbitfish for that tank........they don't call them rabbitfish for nothing! ;)

I put a gold spotted rabbitfish in my 210g when 1/2 the rocks were covered in green hair algea.......he had them clean in a week.