eau de xenia

treesprite

Anyone who has cut up xenia and has a good sense of smell knows the horrid stench xenia can leave - very hard to wash off the hands. A couple weeks ago I was acclimating a lot of xenia in a bucket. It was in the bucket for a few hours with airstone because I had to go out suddenly. After putting the xenia in the tank, I had a bucket with about 1.5 gallons of water in it with the stench of xenia. Well, I tripped over it.

I have been spending all this time trying to get this smell out of the carpet. It's the first thing anyone smells walking in the door - like a combination of dead xenia, fish, sour milk, and vomit. Thank goodness it is an area carpet that I put on top of the regular apt carpeting, because it is clear that the only way to get rid of the smell is to throw the carpet away. The maintanence people had to come for something today and had to leave the door open the whole time because they couldn't take the smell.

My statement to all of you is a warning - do not ever leave a bucket of old xenia water sitting for any amount of time on the floor, or anywhere else where you are not absolutely positive that it will not somehow spill onto your carpeting - you will very much regret it. If it does happen, don't even bother trying to get it out because a carpet cleaner will not do the job - the cleaning chemicals will mask the smell at best for a day, and then all your family members and visitors will wonder what the h you killed.

That is my public service announcement for the day. Thank you for heading this warning.

Edited by treesprite

Have you tried any of the enzyme based cleaners like Natures Miracle...used to get out pet odors by breaking down the bacteria...don't know if it would work, but that's what I'd try.

(edited)

I tried 2 different pet odor products and neither helped, just masked the smell for a little while. I don't know what is in them. I'm just going to throw the rug out - it's just an 8 ft x 6 ft thing from Home Depot.

Edited by treesprite

I did shampoo it and the smell was only masked by the cleaning liquid for a brief time. I threw teh rug away already. Actually, I cut it in half and saved the half that didn't get xenia water on it while throwing away the other half.