Which pump should I get

MBVette

I am going through ordering everything so I can start setting up my tank. It will be a 210g w/ a 75g sump.

I am looking at either getting a Dart or a Snapper. Which one do you think will work better?

Thanks

-Scott

What are you using this pump for?

Just a return, or are you adding a closed loop?

Assuming this is for return pump only, I'd go at least a Dart if not a Barracuda. Barracuda is probably overkill, but you can dial it back and won't run the risk of having too little flow.

I have an iwaki100 that I used for 4 years. My setup is a bit larger so I recently got a hammerhead. I think the Iwaki new is a bit over priced. That being said they have been very reliable for me. If you are interested I would sell my old one for a good price.

Assuming this is for return pump only, I'd go at least a Dart if not a Barracuda. Barracuda is probably overkill, but you can dial it back and won't run the risk of having too little flow.

I am thinking the Barracuda's 4300 GPH is just overkill. Even the Dart's 3600 might be a bit much, but I think I can turn that down a bit to work the best.

Do you think I should go with the Barracuda and have it turned down that much?

I am thinking the Barracuda's 4300 GPH is just overkill. Even the Dart's 3600 might be a bit much, but I think I can turn that down a bit to work the best.

I would go with the Dart 3600 because it uses much less power. For something that is on 24/7, you can save enough to buy some frags.

Wow, I was just about to ask a similar question. Considering using a dart or barracuda as the return for my 120. ALso concerned about overkill. What I am also thinkin about is using just one pump for the return of the 120 and a 29 frag tank. I would accomplish this by installing a tee and valve on the frag tank side to adjust the flow to the FT. Will this work?

Dont mean to hijkack the thread but... :ph34r:

Thanks Ron

If I keep my 220, what I was going to do is have a dart tee for return and also to a feed manifold for (calcium reactor, media reactor, fuge, one extra for whatever usage). Just an idea for you guys.

If I keep my 220, what I was going to do is have a dart tee for return and also to a feed manifold for (calcium reactor, media reactor, fuge, one extra for whatever usage). Just an idea for you guys.

I use a barracuda on my 120 w/ a manifold to feed the skimmer, media reactor, ca reactor and chiller. I'll be adding a 40L frag tank shortly. I do have it dialed back quite a bit even with all of that running.

I use a barracuda on my 120 w/ a manifold to feed the skimmer, media reactor, ca reactor and chiller. I'll be adding a 40L frag tank shortly. I do have it dialed back quite a bit even with all of that running.

Wow! Thanks for giving some perspective. I think the dart will be plenty.

Ron

I've got 2 Pan World 200PS pumps, either of which would work great on that setup. They will become available in a couple of weeks.

My hammerhead is plumed to supply my media reactor as well as my main display tank and 2 smaller tanks. Here is a picture of the manifold I built. I am sure many other reefers have done similar projects.

gallery_684_451_56676.jpg

Something to think about: you want redundancy. If you only have one pump and it dies (for what ever reason) you could have a very bad day. I am in the planning stage for my next tank, and it will have 2 return pumps with each being on a separate circuit.

This is exactly what I have done on my 120, though with a Dart. For 200 gallons+, I personally would go with the Barracuda and run a bypass or two to the sump until you know what extras you want to plumb into with a manifold. Bypasses can be used later to plumb in peripherals, frag tank, etc. or simply valved off.

I would then, later on, plumb in a closed loop using a Dart - OM with a bypass before the OM running to a Sea Swirl and/or Wavy Sea. This should eliminate the need for any powerheads.

I hate powerheads... ;)

I can tell you this:

On my 120, I have a Dart running skimmer, two media reactors, calcium reactor and UV - plus it returns ~1000 GPH to the display. I have the bypass valved off b/c I don't need it. The pump is opened up all the way. What I won't be able to do is plumb a frag tank into this setup should I ever get the hair to do so - I just don't think I'll get enough through the frag tank (maybe I would...???).

Cheers

Mike

Something to think about: you want redundancy. If you only have one pump and it dies (for what ever reason) you could have a very bad day. I am in the planning stage for my next tank, and it will have 2 return pumps with each being on a separate circuit.

Good point but in my opinion you are better off just having a backup pump if the one you have dies. I feel this way because having 2 times the plumbing can get tight and creates more room for some problem. Plus it takes more room and sometimes will make it more difficlt to work on. Just my 2 cents

I am running the Dart on my 265. It runs through a manifold to feed my two returns and media reactor. I am moving my sump to the basement and i am adding a frag tank, 2 refugium's a DSB tank. I will be running the Dart and a Barracuda. It going to be an additional 120 GAL's to my system. I think you will be happy with the Dart, but if you are planning to expand you might consider the Barracuda.

Edited by lhcorals

I am running the Dart on my 265. It runs through a manifold to feed my two returns and media reactor. I am moving my sump to the basement and i am adding a frag tank, 2 refugium's a DSB tank. I will be running the Dart and a Barracuda. It going to be an additional 120 GAL's to my system. I think you will be happy with the Dart, but if you are planning to expand you might consider the Barracuda.

Consider using gravity to your advantage here. Bob Dewitt (cowrie) just set up their 150 with the sump and everything (skimmer, fuge, media reactor) in the basement, and the fuge and media reactor are run using gravity from the drain lines. He tee'd the drain lines off so part could run through the fuge, the rest directly to the sump/reactor. Of course, every time there is a tee, there is a valve to have complete control of the water flow. It's worth a look if you are passing through Mclean.

Cheers

Mike

I vote Dart too. I use it as my return + skimmer feed on a 550 gal tank. It is just enough- I don't believe that heavy sump turnover is necessary. All you really need to do from a sump is feed a skimmer and other minor equipment, and a skimmer only needs .75 to 1.5x system volume turnover per hour.

The Dart will run quieter and cheaper than a Barracuda.

I keep a spare on the shelf ready to go just in case.

Agreed on gravity feeding equipment- if you plan your plumbing correctly, you can feed everything except a calcium reactor directly from an overflow drain. The trick is to use valves to back up the water in the pipe to reduce or eliminate bubbles going into the equipment feed lines.

I don't want to hijack this thread at all, but I am getting a bigger tank soon...300+ gallons, and after reading this thread I decided to try to plump the return pump (probably a Barracuda or Dart) into the skimmer like others have done. My question is once the pump is T'ed off to the skimmer, how is the airline for the skimmer attached? Thanks!

I don't want to hijack this thread at all, but I am getting a bigger tank soon...300+ gallons, and after reading this thread I decided to try to plump the return pump (probably a Barracuda or Dart) into the skimmer like others have done. My question is once the pump is T'ed off to the skimmer, how is the airline for the skimmer attached? Thanks!

I am not a skimmer expert but in my case and I think with most larger skimmers the feed pump and the circulation pump which adds the air are 2 different pumps.