help setting up a hypo tank

have 5 fish.....P.B tang, Yellow Tang, 2 clowns, 1 blennie also fire shrimp and snails and hermits.

wanting to set up a hypo salinity tank to quarantine fish in for 6+ weeks.

What size tank should i got with..??

Bought a 10gl tank, before i realized it was 2 small, gonna return it!

how big of tank do i need for all fish to be comfy..??

have done alot of reading on hypo salinity, but any hints would be great!

go with a 55. its long and give the fish some swimming room. The tangs will do much better in it. Anything that is longer than higher is better.

Have lots of extra water ready for water changes. you will want to do them more often. Air stone is always a good thing to run as well.

55 would be best, but a 20 long would be ok (that's what I used - mimic tang, two clowns, 2 chromis, firefish)... the more water changes the better. a little hang on the back filter/skimmer will help....

go with a 55. its long and give the fish some swimming room. The tangs will do much better in it. Anything that is longer than higher is better.

Have lots of extra water ready for water changes. you will want to do them more often. Air stone is always a good thing to run as well.

(edited)

was running fresh water last year, ahve some left over supplies...HOB filter. heater, airbox.......now i need to get a tank!.

how do i keep my p.h in line..??....baking soda..??

how long should i keep fish in there....6 weeks..??

Edited by Emoney

from reef central:

Carrying a Slightly Lower Salinity in the Tank Lessens Disease

This bogus information seems to be perpetuated by the pet shop trade. The exact source of the myth is unknown, but it seems to have started in the early 1980s. I have been told it may have originated in an article by Herbert Axelrod, but cannot confirm. No matter, the concept that keeping a marine aquarium at lowered salinity, with specific gravity of ~1.019, is commonly cited as helping to prevent disease outbreaks in saltwater fish.

This idea has never been proven to help fish in any way. A specific gravity of 1.019 is far short of the level of 1.009 needed to combat ich during hyposalinity treatment. The practice may save some money for the fish supplier in it requires less salt, but it does not prevent disease. Although it doesn

from reef central:

Carrying a Slightly Lower Salinity in the Tank Lessens Disease

This bogus information seems to be perpetuated by the pet shop trade. The exact source of the myth is unknown, but it seems to have started in the early 1980s. I have been told it may have originated in an article by Herbert Axelrod, but cannot confirm. No matter, the concept that keeping a marine aquarium at lowered salinity, with specific gravity of ~1.019, is commonly cited as helping to prevent disease outbreaks in saltwater fish.

This idea has never been proven to help fish in any way. A specific gravity of 1.019 is far short of the level of 1.009 needed to combat ich during hyposalinity treatment. The practice may save some money for the fish supplier in it requires less salt, but it does not prevent disease. Although it doesn

Do you think that when fish get sick in the ocean, they cruise on up to a freshwater river delta to do a hyposalinity spa for a few days?

Just let them ride out whatever is ailing them. It seems kind of pointless to remove $50 worth of fish and put them in a $300 "rejuvenation" bath for 6 weeks.

If your water parameters are at 100% normal, your fish won't get ick or other diseases. Usually.

i disagree. Its is more than 50 bucks for him as well.

If you do the 6 weeks then your chances of the Ich life cycle to die off it alot greater. Most fish that "ride it out" DIE. Our tanks are no where near as stable as the ocean and what we can do is control the environment we have them in. Why let a fish suffer when you can help.

I would do the q-tank if you can.

Zygote that is an excellent point.

I guess at the point if they are eating and look healthy then chances are they don't have ich. I was at BRK and they brought up a good point, Johnny gets ich in his tank when health starts to suffer, not necessarily a new fish introduced with it. However I'm sure the QT after a stressful transport (remember stress and malnutrition can lead to ich, especially 24+ hours in a box on a plane) is rather necessary, since ich takes time to become visible, I wouldn't worry about QT'ing a fish out of someone elses reef that has been healthy for quite some time. Just my .02