Outlet help

droyal1110

My new dilemma is electrical.

Where the new tank is going I only have 2 outlets to my disposal. Sure I could run wires across the room but no one likes that, not to mention the hazard.

My questions are these:

I have a standard 2 outlet receptacle, unknown at the time what the load it can handle or what else it is sharing; Can I take the box out and add a 2 gang box with a quad (4 outlets) receptacle (both GFCIs), wire that up and everything will be peachy?

Can I just take the existing wires in there (again I haven't opened it up yet) assuming its your standard 18g wire with hot, neutral, ground, and just do 2 pigtails off of those wires and connect the 2 receptacles?

Anyone know of a DIY link for this? I have wiring experience but I don't know if I am able to add a receptacle to it or if its even worth doing.

My problem is I will be running 1 power strip on each outlet, but I could really use 2 more outlets. I don't want to plug a power strip into another power strip, I'm not letting something so simple burn my house down.

In the same sense by sharing the load on that breaker/wire with another outlet on there, isn't that the same as adding another power strip on a power strip without the added risk?

Please school me =D

Calling Coral Hind.

But I think the answer is no. I believe GFI circuit work off 20A circuits to be kosher? 99.9% sure your outlet is on 15A service.

There maybe a plug in variety though.

As for creating more outlets, if you are doing it just to create more sockets why don't you just buy another surge protector?

Those 2 outlets are most likely on the same circuit so if one trips the CB, all goes out.

Get an electrician to run a 20 amp line from your breakerbox.

Trust me, you'll need the power.

David

(edited)

I doubt you have 18awg in the wall. More like 12 or 14.

Sending you a PM with my number so we can discuss as I am too slow and lazy to type it all out.

Edited by Coral Hind

Cool, talked to coral hind, thanks for the info. I should be able to identify it tomorrow night and I'll post back here what I plan on doing before doing it... so I don't ruin things.. you know =D