New light system

Jessica

I need a suggestion. I have 4 T5 lights attached to my canopy in my 90 gal, 24" deep tank. Its time to switch the bulbs out but I was curious to know if I should change my lighting system entirely. I would like to keep some SPS corals. Will the four T5 be enough? I am interested in getting a combination of metal halides with T5s. What kind of set up can you order me? Will I be able to use the hood with the new set up?

Jessica

I need a suggestion. I have 4 T5 lights attached to my canopy in my 90 gal, 24" deep tank. Its time to switch the bulbs out but I was curious to know if I should change my lighting system entirely. I would like to keep some SPS corals. Will the four T5 be enough? I am interested in getting a combination of metal halides with T5s. What kind of set up can you order me? Will I be able to use the hood with the new set up?

Jessica

You might be able to keep SPS with 4 bulbs. I had 4 on my 75g and I kept SPS. When I went to a 90g, I added 2 more bulbs and kept SPS.

Jessica

with good bulbs (I like Geissmahn) you can keep most sps up high on the tank. You can get a nice Sunlight supply system with 2 250 metal halides, that would do a fantastic job, but you will fight heat, high initial cost, and energy consumption. What kind of bulbs / fixture are you using now?

John

I'd be interested in your current lighting system if you get something new...

Jessica

Add two more bulbs and overdrive all with either Icecap 660 and 430 ballasts or just four with the 660. I do just four on my 90g and have not had a problem anywhere in the tank.

John,

I currently have 2 aqua blue and 2 actinic+. Are 4 bulbs enough? I plan on having more SPS and would like placement options except the top.

I have a few acroporas that I've purchased from BRK a few months ago. I've placed all of them at the top and two are growing slowly but the third is not thriving as I had expected. I'm not sure if it needs more intense lighting. Its getting close for me to replace the bulbs and I was considering adding on MH.

Is this the system you were talking about? Please send me a link if incorrect.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/product...mp;type=product

If you recommend a new lighting system, is there a way to rearrange my T5 so I can add on 2 MH onto the hood? And, most importantly, can I bring the hood into BRK and have someone install it? Haha.

Can you let me know when you will have more fighting conchs? The one I had for 4 years died. SAD!

Jessica

John,

I currently have 2 aqua blue and 2 actinic+. Are 4 bulbs enough? I plan on having more SPS and would like placement options except the top.

I have a few acroporas that I've purchased from BRK a few months ago. I've placed all of them at the top and two are growing slowly but the third is not thriving as I had expected. I'm not sure if it needs more intense lighting. Its getting close for me to replace the bulbs and I was considering adding on MH.

Is this the system you were talking about? Please send me a link if incorrect.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/product...mp;type=product

If you recommend a new lighting system, is there a way to rearrange my T5 so I can add on 2 MH onto the hood? And, most importantly, can I bring the hood into BRK and have someone install it? Haha.

Can you let me know when you will have more fighting conchs? The one I had for 4 years died. SAD!

Jessica

Yea, that would be the fixture I was talking about. some SPS require more light than others, so the fact that 2 are doing well and the others are not is pretty normal. What system do you have now? If it is just a retrofit system in a hood, you could add 2 more bulbs, if its a fixture, there isnt really any way you can add on to it that I know of. We are not able to do any customer wireing, sorry about that....

I order the conchs when ever I see them on my lists, so there is realy no way of knowing when....

John