Orchid Dottybacks layed eggs - need rotifers

Guest Scott324

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scott324

The initial batch of 20 had 6 survivors.  They are now nice and purple and hug the bottom.  I set up a small 5 gallon tank attached to my display that I am going to move them too shortly.  The second batch has about 100 left.  They are doing well, but I am losing about 3 a night.  They eat more than I ever expected and am waiting on my order of vrine shrimp eggs.  I am also prefecting my hatching methods.  The other batch has about 150 left,  they have been neglected and are smaller than the others were at the same point.  Still doing well, but we will see how they fair.

I am having a problem with the parents though.  The male aborted the last batch of eggs and i havn't seen him in about 2 days.  The last time I did see him he had some tattered fins.   I think my brittle star may be the culprit, so he may be finding a new home very soon.

What day are both batches on?  6 fry from the first run is a pretty good effort IMO.

Michael

Guest Scott324

These really aren't the first, second, and third batches.  The very first batch died because of lack of food.  The second batch (20 to start with) came from the leftovers I gave to Bob.  They were born on February 1.  The second batch was born on feb 6 and the third on Feb 11.  The first batch went through metamorphasis over the weekend except one stragler who is turning now.  That puts them at 30 days old today.

They are still small at about 1/2".

• 1 month later...

How big are they now?  I queried over at RC on sizes and didn't get any specific recommendations on dottybacks.  Clown's and bangaiis were over 1/2 inch.  Nickel size or there abouts.

I can give you some of my chunk of cyclopeeze to fatten them up some at the meeting if you want.

Michael

Guest Scott324

I was seriously thinking about getting in on the order, but the prawn eggs seem to do a good job.  I may try a little though if you don't mind.

They are now almost two months old.  They are about 1/2" by 1/4" wide.  They are growning pretty fast, so I think in another month they will be big enough.  Although you know you are welcome to your anytime you want them.