Looking for Gate Valves for modding my ASM

Larry Grenier

I just got a bunch on E-bay 3" pretty cheap

I know this is not what you were asking for but, I prefer not to use the gate valves for an in sump ASM. I simply slide a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" bushing on to the skimmers adjustable pipe. I then stick a 1-1/2" tee on that and run the rest in 1 1/2". The stand pipe is still adjustable, it is cheaper then getting a gate valve and there is less of a chance for you skimmer to overflow. Just an idea.

I know this is not what you were asking for but, I prefer not to use the gate valves for an in sump ASM. I simply slide a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" bushing on to the skimmers adjustable pipe. I then stick a 1-1/2" tee on that and run the rest in 1 1/2". The stand pipe is still adjustable, it is cheaper then getting a gate valve and there is less of a chance for you skimmer to overflow. Just an idea.

I did the exact same thing for my two EuroReef skimmers and have been extremely happy with the results. I just slide the tube up to skim a little wetter and vice versa to skim drier.

Just curious, can a ball valve do the same as a gate valve for this particular mod? I want to mod my Octopus 200 and have an extra 1.5" ball valve.

I agree 100%

Just curious, can a ball valve do the same as a gate valve for this particular mod? I want to mod my Octopus 200 and have an extra 1.5" ball valve.

People use gate valves because the ball valves can be a little harder to fine tune. Plus the khob on the gate valve sits higher so it tends to be out of the water.

Here are some pics of mine...I did the same for both skimmers. When I mod my Octopus skimmer, I am going to do the valve mod.

post-2631710-1238511211_thumb.jpg

post-2631710-1238511284_thumb.jpg

two more pics of the other skimmer.

oops...will not let me upload more pics.

Edited by bkl911

I did the mesh wheel, gate valve, and recirc mod on my ASM G3 a long time ago.

I didn't find the gate valve to be useful at all. It did not make it any easier to adjust than the stock stand pipe.

As to the others:

mesh wheel: 5 stars. obvious and immediate improvement. Highly recommend that one if you have not done it.

HERE is a link to the thread with pics.

recirc mod: hard to tell. my gut tells me the skim it was making after is the same color, quantity, and odor as before, but...hard to tell.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Interesting. I might make the leap myself on my Euro Reef skimmer and do the mesh. If it fails, I'll just get another skimmer which I

was planning to do anyways.