Help cutting acryllic

DCDeacon

I'm making a sump/fuge out of a 30 gallon tank. I can get the square pieces for the baffles, but I want one piece to have teeth on the top of it to use in separating the fuge from the return area, to keep any algae or critters from getting out into the pump area. I wondered if anyone had a router or some other tool and could do this for me. I can always get a piece like this from glasscages.com, but before going through the trouble of ordering, etc., I thought I'd check locally to see if someone could help me out.

Anyone?

Pete,

Dittos on the need to build a sump, check on my design I just put in the Gallery under Tank Setups?

I was going to do one at my place off Rt 50 and the beltway in the next week or so for my 29g refugium and 20g sump

Howard

Doug,

I believe I have at worst access to one, but thinking of getting a setup from Santa! I have jigsaws, circular saws, hacksaws, see-saws now :)

Howard

Guest Ruh Roh
If you don't get the router thing locked in I can do it in my free time at work with the laser. I can't cut anything bigger than 2x3' But if you want to draw the lines on the piece I could cut the teeth out with the bandsaw if they can be square shaped teeth. If you get a router it'd probably be quicker and you could round the bottom of the teeth a little.

RuhRoh,

I got my 29g tank that I'm going to use as a sump/refugium.

I have a piece of glass and a piece of vinyl that should work great for creating the dividers.

Can you cut these with the laser to make slits for the overflows?

Call me when you available and I can bring them to you if that is ok?

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Did anyone have a router?

Was looking into cutting slots for sump into acrylic and the more I was thinking about do it just with a coping saw, the more I realize, I just might want to invest in a router  ???

I got a sheet of glass and acrylic, just got to get it cut.

Howard

WOOD?

Are you Chip or Splinter? :D

Hey sir, I'm heading to the house, will give you call later if your available?

Howard

Howard,

I found some plastic and am going to be cutting out and glueing my CA reactor over the next couple evenings. You can stop by and use the router since I'll have it out and be using it myself.

I'm sure I have a bit that will work for what you're doing.

Measure twice.

Chip

Guest Ruh Roh

Howard,

I am sorry I missed your post, never even saw it here with the holidays and all. I apoligize. I would be happy to help with the dividers should be a really quick easy thing here. I would need to know the size of your divider and about how big the slots or how many you want along which edge. Then I can draw it up and zip it out.

The router works well as well you remember how we zipped through the circles of the acrylic with it right? :)

Give me a call on my Cell during the day or at home in the evenings.

703-477-3964 -Cell

703-204-1985 - Home

Ruh Roh, you going to be around tonight that I could come by and cut teeth in my acryllic? I have a piece that is 11 1/2 inches wide and I just want to cut some teeth along the top at regular intervals. I figure they'll be about 1/4 inch wide or so, spaced out with a 1/2 inch in between them. About 1 inch deep. Is that something you can do?

I realize that the teeth look cool but why can't the water simply spill over the top edge like on an overflow box? Teeth get clogged and make a louder spill.

The circle cutter I have could be used as a groove guide if you feel you need the teeth.

Mostly because I've heard it's beneficial in keeping critters in the refugium and out of the pump area, not to mention keeping algae from washing over to the pump area. I'm really doing it for function, not for looks.

Chip,

If your around tonight, I'll give you a call and stop in to get it done?

Pete, I'm not going to use a template or anything, just free hand it. If your not picky, maybe you could drop off your material and a paper sketch of your needs after work and I can cut it while I'm at Chips if that is ok with all? As you saw last night, I'm only using 1/8" sheet of acrylic for divider and overflows.

Howard

Howard, I've got my acryllic with me here at work, as I picked it up at Piedmont on the way in today. I'd be happy to drop it off and have you do it "freehand" if you're willing to do so, and I'll swing by after you're done and pick it up. That'll give me time to get the rest of the sump done. Lemme know what time you'll be home and I'll drop it off.

I should be home around 7, if you come early, leave it by my door with drawings of what you want done. Cell 703-899-6209, I actually have it with me today.

Howard

Ah, Sure, you can spend time with her, but us, we got to play second fiddle! GEEZZZZ!

Well maybe we will see you and maybe we won't! [hro

yeah right pal, I'm not the one who wants something cut mr second fiddler.

GEEZZZZ, .........sounds like you been hanging around Wally and the "Beav" a little too long.

Call me later, it'll give me a reason to stay home.