Now that I'm feeling a bit more confident...

lanman

My Tyree LE Alien Eye Watermelon Chalice was 'receding'... after growing from a 1/2" x 1" frag to almost 4" in diameter, the edges were losing flesh, and it was shrinking. So - after giving it a chance to start growing again, I took more drastic action. I cut the odd-shaped pieces off, and moved it out of my display tank. I am happy to report that the main coral is definitely growing back in my 58, and the pieces I cut off appear to be doing fine in the 33-gallon frag tank.

watermelon15.jpg

watermelon16.jpg

Phew!!!

bob

(edited)
Great news Bob. Did you find out what possibly caused it to recede in the first place?

Not sure... but I still have fairly high nitrates (doesn't seem to bother anything else). Another possibility - my gold-headed sleeper goby likes to dump sand on it. Most likely - it started to slow down, and then recede shortly after I got my Vortech's; perhaps it doesn't like the higher water flow. It sits about a foot or so below one of them, and the intake causes a steady flow over that area. When it still had a wide green skirt on it - the skirt was constantly waving in the flow. Further evidence is that it first stopped growing, and then receding on the side facing the flow. But it's all still conjecture.

I'll be all smiles when I see a green edge around everything!!!

bob

Edited by lanman

I call dibs on the frags! :lol2:

Take a look at my post on nitrates... I don't think THAT is the problem. The 58 has high nitrates, too - and it's doing great in there.

bob