Calcium Reactor Acrylic Order

michaelg

I want to get the acrylic ordered this week.  Need a final head count.  Don't worry about the date- if you can't be there for the cutting, we'll cut it for you and you can just assemble it.

This will also help finalize the fittings.  I will price them out exactly in the next day or so.  I need firm commitments on wanting the supplies though- else I am out the $$$ and won't be too happy about it.  (sorry to move it to a new thread- the old one was way too long to follow).  

Please respond by Friday.

List confirmed as definates:

Me

Dave (morgunda)

ctreptow (chris)

OUsnakebyte (Mike)

GaryL

With 5- acrylic will run about $17/each  [nana]

CA reactor guys,

I checked into a sheet of clear plexi for you all.

$103.00 plus tax delivered to my shop in McLean.

It is extruded, not CAST, and comming from GLASS DISTRIBUTORS INC

Call me by mid day on Friday, and I'll be happy to add it to our order for delivery Tuesday 9/14.

Chip   703.356.9377 shop

571.220.0776 cell

Is this a better plastic than the acrylite FF that we can get for $80.  I used this to build my sump, and didn't have any problems with it.  Using the same though for tube was more difficult to get to cut clean (most likely due to how we cut the tube :) )  Do they sell smaller sizes of weldon?  Maybe the thick and thinner stuff.

Mike,

The solvent isn't a high ticket item.  The water thin solvents (3, 4 and 5) should run you around $6 for a pint.  The sell them in 4oz, but as a group and at the price for a pint, might as well go with a pint.  The difference in the three is 5 sets slowest, 4 is a little faster and 3 is too fast IMO.  A pint should go a loooong way.  The thicker material (#16) comes in one size that I know of in a squeeze tube.  It is essentially solvent mixed with acrylic chips in a tube.  You apply it in an area, the solvent cures out and leaves the acrylic.  It will run you about $5 and will also go a long way... depending on how you use it of course.

Don't really know what it is you are offered.

I've used cheap stuff and expensive stuff, mostly by the #.

From my experience, the less expensive stuff seems to melt more when cut, clearly gets brittle, and can yellow under uv.

Other than that, I use what I can get by the #.

We chose black CAST since it cuts cleaner and looks nicer when finished (a concern of mine) and we can have it delivered at a reasonable price.

LMK, Chip

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

Why don't you design something like this.

http://www.marinetechnical.com/ProCal%20Reactor.jpg

This is a dual stage reactor. I own one and if you need dimensions etc, you are

welcome to come and take a peek.

Basically the dual stage gives more time for CO2 to act upon, good recirculation.

The one thing folks need to keep in mind is the power of the aragnite to clog these

1/4" tubing. I use a nylon screen inside the chamber on the intakes. Power head inside the chamber is not such a good

idea given that these particles will be constantly hammering

the impellar.

-krish

I like how compact it is with the pump internal on the reactor, and the use of a small pump like that.  I will look and see if that can be fit into the "box" design.