My Temp probe in the ACIII went nuts!!

Boret

So I decide to move the tank and setup the 92!! Finally, after a long time planning. Such is my luck that both my main heater and my temp probe in the ACIII decided to fail!!!

I am trying to figure out what is the problem. Basically the ACIII reads temperatures that oscillate from 70 to 90. I reset the unit and did the self test but it doesn't solve the problem. I have called NeptuneSys to talk to cust. service but got voicemail. I guess I have to buy a new one but of course all the stores that carry it are close till Thursday!!!. So it has to be online, unless someone in WAMAS has an extra one or has an idea how to fix it.

As far as the heater goes. I have 2, for back up, so I was using one in the 55 and one in the 92. The main one (250W) failed so now I am trying to keep the 55 warm with a (75w). Does anyone around Fairfax have one I can borrow? And of course now the 92 is going to go down in temp. I am running all my MH just to help with the heating but that means I have to keep an eye on everything and monitor temp out of the crappy temp monitors. I cannot use the ACIII without an stable read on temp..... darn it!!! Why do these things always happen at the worst possible time????

Any help is appreciated with both of these issues.

Same thing happened to me with my temp probe (Neptune), and I was told that it's very common. Check the warrenty - it's not good for very long. I ended up buying a new one.

I had te same problem also. Talked with Neptune and ended up buying a new temp prob. Got it at BRK. Call out there they may have them in stock. Not sure who else carries them locally.

I heard that they broke often, I just didnt expect it to break while I am trying to setup the new tank!!!! :cry:

I sent an email to John.

Otherwise ill have to wait till tomorrow, and I hope he has one at the store.

Anyone else that might carry it?

John (BRK) to the rescue!!!!

He just replied to my email and can get me one today!!! Awesome!!! :clap:

Ill get a heater while i'm there :)

It feels good to vent aquarium related frustration in WAMAS when things go a bit out of control. Thanks for the replies guys!!

108 degrees now!

Boret, your effluent pH is reading out at 4.69. That seems unreasonably low.

Where'd you get the code for that banner in your signature anyway? That's pretty cool.

Its fixed now thanks to John who had one left at the store!!!

The Effluent is not connected. So the probe is not reading anything. Filling up with water the cup as we speak so the probe wont be left to dry.

108 degrees now!

Boret, your effluent pH is reading out at 4.69. That seems unreasonably low.

Where'd you get the code for that banner in your signature anyway? That's pretty cool.

I will shortly work in a set of instructions to get it working. Several people asked me about it. So might as well make it a thread.

Kurt, from Neptune Systems just returned my call.

Pretty much the Probe went bad and I have to get a new one, which I already did. So that its solve.

Next time we do a Group Buy for Neptune Sys. stuff I will get another AC8 and a backup probe.

While speaking with Kurt he mentioned that they are coming up with something really cool in the next couple of weeks, I inquired what it was but he didn't want to say. He told me to keep an eye on their website. So I am passing along the info!

B.

(edited)

Hey Boret, I contacted Curt also (on a different issue) and took the opportunity to ask him about the probe failures that members have seen. While I have an ongoing dialogue going, he replied with this, "A small number of people have had their old temperature probes fail. Failure analysis revealed that the temperature sensing element was cracked. So at some point the probe was mechanically stressed, and that ultimately caused the failure. We are now encapsulating the probes in epoxy so this type of failure is not possible."

I've since asked him other questions regarding how the cracks may have been induced and if he had any recommendations for placement and handling of probes. This was his response: "I'm not exactly certain how the thermistor is cracked in some cases. Perhaps dropped, or the cable is flexed too close the encapsulation. Since we've been encapsulating them there aren't any more field failures of this type."

If you're not doing anything with your failed probe, I'd like to take a look at it and maybe cut it apart to see how it was built and to see if I can determine the failure mode. Let me know if you've still got it lying around and could part with it.

Edited by Origami2547

Unfortunately I threw mine away, but I can tell you that I neither dropped it (it had been in the tank for a couple of months) nor flexed the cable too close to the probe.

If you're not doing anything with your failed probe, I'd like to take a look at it and maybe cut it apart to see how it was built and to see if I can determine the failure mode. Let me know if you've still got it lying around and could part with it.

You can have my old temp probe.

(edited)
You can have my old temp probe.

Thanks, Chip. Just set it aside for that visit I've yet to schedule.... Soon, I swear! :lol2:

(BTW, the flower delivery on Saturday went well. She wasn't home at the time, but knew I'd been there because of the handwritten note that was enclosed. I followed up on Monday and the personal touch really made a difference. - Good advice. Thanks.)

Hilary, I figured as much. I'd like to take one apart anyway to see how they're made. If I can figure out what component they're using inside and how it's mounted, maybe I can learn something that benefits all of us.

Edited by Origami2547

Same with mine Origami, I am just a bit farther than reefhunter, but you are welcome to it too.

At $30 is not the end of the world (considering the amount of cash we throw at this hobby), and I will probably buy a replacement one because the ACIII is pretty much worthless without it.

If you can make it cheaper that would be great, but I think you would be hard press to make it something profitable, maybe i'm complete wrong!!!

On the other hand.... I know the little LCD temp probes are pretty "crappy", the battery operated ones. But even if the accuracy is nothing to write home about, they are tough. I have had one since I have freshwater tanks over 5 years ago, still in the original battery. It has gone thru moving twice, been stepped on, forgotten, rolled in a ball and packed away with tons of things on top, and every time it works!!! Couldn't they (Neptune Sys) talk to the guys that make those? Maybe we can wired one of those probes into the ACIII. :idea: