Where to buy sand/rock locally?

bph

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I did a search and didn't see an answer (I am not too great on those search engines).

I just finished the plumbing on my 125g tank and now need to start thinking of rock and sand to put into it. Is there any sand sellers locally? With this size tank and 2" depth (good depth?) I am looking at 150lbs of sand! At least according to the sand calculator I found while searching.

Also, any good sources for rock?

Neither has to be "live". I don't mind waiting for a cycle to happen. It allows me to save up the cash to get a decent skimmer :)

Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is a repeated question

Brian

I bought my sand for my 90 gallon (well, and the others as well :lol2: ) from an LFS (one bag "live" and the rest just regular aragonite), and rock from members breaking down their tanks. Most of the rock came with nice color and many had zoas, sponge, etc.

You should be able to get dry aragonite sand from several places in Manassas. Try Petsmart, Petco (***shudder***) Blue Ribbon Koi. Centerville Aquarium is an option too. I've done what Hilary did, one bag of "live sand" that bagged kind, and the rest dry aragonite. You can do all dry sand and put a request in the want to buy section here for a scoop of LS from members tanks to seed the aragonite. For base rock, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper online, but I really don't know who sells it at the lowest price. Someone else might be able tosteer you in the right direction there.

Be sure to rinse the aragonite well before putting it in the tank, it helps cut down on the cloudiness that can take days to clear if not rinsed.

(edited)

I personally bought my sand from the Cozy clownfish, I live in Manassas as well. However, I will either be ordering my sand online or probably going to blue ribbon koi since their price seemed rather reasonable (I'm setting up a bigger tank). As far as rock goes, my personal preference (especially since your cycling) is to do half base rock from www.bulkreefsupply.com (the more you buy the cheaper it is per lb) and try to find users selling rock. Get anything with purple on it because it will help contribute seeding the base rock. Also try to watch out for mojano and aiptasia on rocks, be sure to familiarize yourself with this. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=803632 If you have to buy rock from a LFS I know the Cozy clownfish keeps their rocks under lights and you can usually count on getting some hitchhikers because they are usually in tanks with snails, crabs, etc. The Marine Scene does not keep their rocks under lights so rarely do you find ones with really good color, BRK I believe has a vat as well but it doesn't necessarily mean you can't find a good colored piece there, Aqua CO. near the marine scene I believe has a vat as well that sits in the dark. There is nothing wrong with buying live rock with less color, I just prefer it to have more. Good luck!

Also, definitely rinse any dry sand and dry rock.

*EDIT*

Oh and I apologize. I wrote this thinking you were new to the hobby, this was not intended to offend in any way. Please ignore anything you already know =D

Edited by droyal1110

Just to tag along...I've also been looking for a "cheap" alternative to buying argonite/oolite/etc at LFS for $1 per pound. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything around Andrews AFB that isn't silica based. As for dry rock...Bulk Reef Supply (my personal choice) runs out of stock fairly fast but you can also try www.marcorocks.com. They seem to have good products at decent prices. Good luck with the tank and be sure to post pics of your progress!!

Thanks all!! I will be taking this all in and see what I can find. If I find a really good deal, I will be sure to post it here!

Thanks again!

Brian

Yea definitely let me know what you find as far as sand goes. Like I said I am in the market, I'm going to buy all dry aragonite and bug someone to give me a cup of seeded sand.

Naw, never did really consider bare bottom. I like the look of that sand on the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion, tho!

I considered it but I like having sand sifters and I like the look of sand. My real debacle is DSB or not.