Wall Studs....

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Ok, I am trying to put in my MH Pendant lighting.  That being said I have never done anything like this before so I want to make sure I am doing this right, and not just going to make holes in my ceiling/walls. :)  Went out purchased a Stud Finder, now the point of this thing is to find the Metal on the wall studs? (not quite sure how it works)  So if I am correct, if it goes off it has found Metal, and I dont want to drill there?  Also, by using the stud finder I should be able to trace the whole stud in thh wall/ceiling?  The reason I ask is because about where I would like the lamp the finder goes off, but I can't seem to figure out which direction it is heading. :)

Well, any ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike,

Stud finder found  :D

hehe, sorry! The stud finder usually work by finding solid background, aka 2x4's (Wood or metal) to screw into. Run slow across the wall and you should get a reading depending on how it signals and that's about it! K.I.S.S. situation applies.

rafters and wall studs are usually on 16" centers meaning that one board is now in place and the next one starts 16" after the beginning of the second. If you find one board, go over 16" and should find another and so on.

Howard

Guest mikesroth

Well I tried it on me, and it defnitley worked, however, Jen didnt think that was very funny. <shrugs>

I guess what I am worried about is I think I found a spot I can use, but it only sets the meter off in like a 3 inch area with nothing running in either direction.  Kinda worried that I might be drilling/screwing into something bad. :)  I think it doesnt help that the paint on the ceiling is textured so the studfinder doesnt move across it smoothly.

<sigh> I knew I should have stayed awake in shop class. :D

Mike,

If you have the stud finder that is essentially a magnet that flops up straight over a stud.... then yes it works via magnetism.  If you have an electronic stud finder it does not work off of this principle.  I will try to be generic. :)  

I think the majority of the electronic stud finders work off a capacitance circuit.  When the device is over the drywall w/ nothing behind it, the capacitance measure one thing.  When you run it over a board (higher density area) behind the drywall, the capacitance changes.  This is similar to a touch lamp.  Another technology they use is a short range radar.  

Either way an electronic stud finder signals on higher density parts of the wall, ie. boards behind the wall.  If you drill into one, you may or may not hit metal, it is tough to gauge.  Statistically, you should not hit metal.  In my projects around the house... I have yet to hit metal FWIW.  

As far as whether to use the open areas or studs depends on the usage.  If you are mounting something, I would mount on a stud for strength.  If you want to mount something recessed in the wall, then you want to shoot for an open space.  As far as finding which way it goes sweep over it and find which direction it goes.  My brother is the homebuilder... so I am not sure which they generally go.

Actually Textured Ceiling and Stud Finders don't do well together. Do you have access to the wall rafters above? Attic?

If not, try to do your best and find an "area" and start there with a small nail and start fishing to figure out where the stud starts and ends, screw in the support on center and go over center to center 16" to the next one and should be good!

UPDATE:

After you figure out center, use a small drill, about a 1/3 the size of the eye bolt for support and drill the starter hole. This will help when you screw in the support piece and hopefully keep it from splitting the stud.

Guest mikesroth

Well, now I think Jen wants to hang something off the wall to hang the pendant off of. <rolls eyes>

Although, I suppose that is a better idea as I don't have to find someplace to hang the wires from, and the studfinder worked better on the wall. :D  

Any suggestions or ideas on that?  It is actually the last thing I need to have my 29 up and running, the water parameters came out A'OK yesterday. :D

Guest Houshan
Well, now I think Jen wants to hang something off the wall to hang the pendant off of. <rolls eyes>

Although, I suppose that is a better idea as I don't have to find someplace to hang the wires from, and the studfinder worked better on the wall. :D  

Any suggestions or ideas on that?  It is actually the last thing I need to have my 29 up and running, the water parameters came out A'OK yesterday. :D

Mike,

Have you considered mounting the pendant inside a DIY canopy?  Might be better as you don't need to worry about wall/ceiling mounting.  Also, it's probably a good idea to add fans on the DIY canopy to help cool the pendant.  Even if the pendant came with internal fans I would mount more in the canopy - JMO.

- Jose

Guest mikesroth
Well the pendant is a Bell Pendant, not too sure how that would look in canopy.... plus you are super optimistic on my DIY skills. :)  Remember, I only own a couple of screwdrives, some pliers, a studfinder and one drill that I have to keep seperate from the drill bits. (Jen once drilled a hole in her leg, without the drill be on.....)  Now I might be in luck if I can find some old reruns of Magyver... :D  But then I will have to buy some chewing gum, an old deck of play cards and a soda bottle.

Guest Houshan
Well the pendant is a Bell Pendant, not too sure how that would look in canopy.... plus you are super optimistic on my DIY skills. :)  Remember, I only own a couple of screwdrives, some pliers, a studfinder and one drill that I have to keep seperate from the drill bits. (Jen once drilled a hole in her leg, without the drill be on.....)  Now I might be in luck if I can find some old reruns of Magyver... :D  But then I will have to buy some chewing gum, an old deck of play cards and a soda bottle.

Hmm ... I'm not too sure about a bell pendant in a canopy - but why not? :)

Mike,

I moving this weekend (hint hint) wndr

But after things settle in, I bought the 250w 20K MH from Reeftank (YES I a MH Man now!) and will need to do the same over my 90g, maybe we could get together and do some brain storming on making canopy's for both. I plan on doing this anyway and would be good to do together?

Ah...as long as you don't keep mentioning anything about needing help with your stud finder again  tng

Howard

|---------------------

| /

|/

|

Why not just make a supported L out of 1x4 and 1x2?  Similar to shelving brackets but this would extend out further.  Then paint it or stain the wood- what ever would match the decor the best?

Guest mikesroth

LOL, what day are you moving?  We are going up to PSU on Saturday to drool over the pretty tanks.... :)  I can help out some on Sunday, although I will have to peel out afternoonish, as I have a VB game that night.

I would love some help planning out a canopy. :)  I would feel more comfortable having my tank covered (with 4 cats and a 10yr old in the house).

Thank you.

Guest mikesroth

Michael,

I orginally didnt want to hang something off of the wall, but, if I am going to hang it, I might have to do what you are talking about (unless Jen gets her way and puts up some flower hook thing).

I do like the idea of a hood... but you idea I could do quicker.... and I can still talk about my stud finder.... :D

Work and this move will keep me busy until second week of Oct. Would like to get at it around then.

Moving every evening this week and Sat. will be the main house items move. BUT, I've invited a few WAMAS members over around 4:30 Sun to help tear down and reset up the 90g tank and 20g sump. Hopefully, we can get it done quickly.

Howard

Thanks either way in advance.

How about taking some 3/4 conduit and making a nice curve arch off the wall with a conduit bender.

You could paint it black and if you play your cards right, you may even be able to run your cord right down through the conduit itself.

On top of that, you would still use the stud finder for mounting.

I'd post a picture but...........................    :D

Guest mikesroth

Sorry Howard, Sunday afternoon would be bad for me.  That would be after the time I would have to head back up my way.  Would have loved to atleast see your tank and setup. :)  Just let me know when you think you will be good to talk hoods, and I will slide on down.

Chip, what is a conduit? :)