Transferring Coral

Donmarco

I'm in the process of slowly transferring the coral in my 50G to a 120G reef tank. There are three species that have permanently attached themselves to the live rock and I'm not certain how to dislodge them without doing them harm. The three species are a very healthy and large colony of zooanthia, a large mushroom leather, and two colonies of button polyps (encrusting anemones). I want to transfer the coral but leave as much rock in the 50G as possible as I want to set it up as a FOWLR tank with a few species of fish that are incompatible with a reef.

Can anyone advise me how to accomplish this?

Also, would anyone be interested in a few small zoo frags? The colony I have is over two years old and is rather large, much larger than I want in my 120G.

Thanks!

Mark

Well I would just move only the rocks that have the coral growth. You can try to remove them but in the end youd probably do more harm than good. I would just plan that rock for the reef tank and just put a substitute rock in the 50g. In any event the new rock in the 50g tank will eventually become a live rock.

Well I would just move only the rocks that have the coral growth. You can try to remove them but in the end youd probably do more harm than good. I would just plan that rock for the reef tank and just put a substitute rock in the 50g. In any event the new rock in the 50g tank will eventually become a live rock.

+1 on this. Just use the rock in the 120 and get a new one or move something from the 120 to the 50.

Most live rock is very porous, and easy to fracture. You should be able to pull the rock out, put it on a towel, and drive a screwdriver into several locations around the parts you want to remove. Then pry out that section of rock.

bob