Auto Top off

mling

I am curious about this topic as well but I think I'm going to do this http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

Melev is a smart dude, he knows whats up and while my sump is going to be able to handle a few gallons of top off water I still don't want to risk it.

I am curious about this topic as well but I think I'm going to do this http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

Melev is a smart dude, he knows whats up and while my sump is going to be able to handle a few gallons of top off water I still don't want to risk it.

That's a cool site ! Thanks for the info, I think I'll try do the same.

I don't like the idea of having 120VAC running through one of those $6 switches and submerged in a sump. Use of a 9V or 12V DC power supply and a relay makes the setup much safer IMHO.

I don't like the idea of having 120VAC running through one of those $6 switches and submerged in a sump. Use of a 9V or 12V DC power supply and a relay makes the setup much safer IMHO.

Yea after thinking about it I agree. I'm thinking of saving up and paying for the JBJ ato. I'm not worried about a flood with my ATO but rather an electrical short in the water that could cook something else or kill some livestock (unlikely), but I'm also going to dose kalk in the top of reservoir which will be nice with the JBJ because I can set it to dose at certain times I believe.

Yea after thinking about it I agree. I'm thinking of saving up and paying for the JBJ ato. I'm not worried about a flood with my ATO but rather an electrical short in the water that could cook something else or kill some livestock (unlikely), but I'm also going to dose kalk in the top of reservoir which will be nice with the JBJ because I can set it to dose at certain times I believe.

I was looking at the JBJ ato too. AquaCave is offering shipping for over $175. The price for the JBJ ato is $79. If we get one more person, we could get free shipping for a group buy. Are you interested ?

You can adapt that setup with an $8 relay from radio shack and an old 9VDC or 12VDC walwart, and I'm sure you have one or two of them gathering dust somewhere. If you are really into DIY and want to get a little fancy, search for the ATO builds I posted in the DIY forum.

(edited)

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it is pretty much the same question I have. What ATO to get, but in my case, I have an additional question. I live in Manassas and am on well water so I have a booster pump to bring the psi up to around 80 for my RO/DI system, but how do I incorporate all of that into a ATO? From what I gather, I need something that will turn on both the booster pump, the flow to the booster pump, and the pump that moves the RO/DI water into my sump. How would I stop the flow of water into the RO/DI system when it isn't in use?

Thanks for any ideas!

Brian

EDIT - Seeing more posts, it seems that having it direct connected to the house water is a potential source of flooding, so that pretty much answers my questions there. Now just to get a good brand of ATO. I noticed BRK had a system, but I wasn't there for that at the time and don't recall what they had. I would much rather purchase locally than online.

Edited by bph

I was at BRK a couple of days ago and they have the JBJ ATO.

I have 2 jbj ato's on my system from BRK.

my topoff comes from a 30 gallon bucket. But i do not have the float switch on the bottom. it is only 12 inches down so it will cut off. You can always try it in to a aqua controller. I also have 2 solenoids on my ro/di unit in case 1 fails.

What else do you need with a JBJ other than a pump and hose? I'm unsure how it works I have only seen diagrams and the actual unit with the membranes on it and lcd screen, but other then that I don't really know how it works. Is it worth the money?