DIY Canopy

bededog

I am in the process of building a canopy for my 46 gallon bow.  I have two 175 watt MH 10K's and will be buying 2 PC's or VHO's for actinics.  Is there an option out there somewhere for a reflector other than buy separate ones for each light (batwings for MH's and one for the actinics)?  I guess what I am asking is can you buy a reflective material from Lowe's or Home Depot you can cut to fit the entire top of the canopy and then just screw the bulb fittings into that?

Thanks in advance for any help.  PM answers if you would then I will know more quickly that I have a reply to this question.

Also, if anyone has a good reason to go with either PC's or VHO's or T5's, feel free to put you two cents in about that too.

Thanks again.

Hellolights sells various reflectors made of Miro 4... I think.  Miro 4 is a highly reflective anodized aluminum and makes a nice reflector.  You won't find it at Lowes, Home Depot or anywhere else I know of.  If you are looking for something simple, that(hellolights) would be my suggestion.  They generally come with holes on the ends for VHO/PC/T5 mounting holes along with MH mogul mounting holes spaced around 2'.  Pop rivet your moguls and end caps on and you're good to go minus a little wiring.

I looked at their 36" reflector real quick and it only has mounting holes for one MH.  Nothing a drill won't fix in a few minutes.  

http://hellolights.com/ref36in.html

IMO, I like VHO's for actinic supplements to MH's better than PC's.  I've never used T5's, so I don't know much about them other than what I have read.

PC's are about the same as VHO's regarding output, but they run more efficient. T5's are similar to PC's, but since the T5's are smaller, it allows for a better reflectors resulting in better output. You could also fit more T5's side by side.

Now regarding the canopy... I'm in a dilemma myself. I just purchased a 72g bow front and about to purchase a 48" light hood. I was planning on putting it on legs to raise it above the water, but  did not want to light my whole room because it was not placed in a  sealed canopy.  

Would it be a bad idea to buy the light hood and build a canopy over the hood to block the light?