Restaining a Stand - Recommendations

scw2u

I have a pseudo-DIY question. I'm upgrading to a 92 Corner tank and putting it in a room with wood furniture that is all stained dark brown/expresso. I would like the fish tank stand to match. However, I do not want to build a new stand. As such, I plan on purchasing the AGA stand that fits the tank and staining it myself. While I'll get the tank trimmed in Black, I'm assume the best bet is to get the Natural Oak colored stand, for ease of stripping.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience stripping and restaining a pre-manufactured stand.

If so, which products worked best?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can pass along!

---Scott

You'll also have to find out how the tank is sealed after it was stained by the builder. I would guess they use a polyuranthane coating to keep water splashes from soaking into the wood. If that's the case, you'll have to sand away every bit of the polyuranthane coating, or the stain will not soak into the wood evenly. It's possible to do, but I wouldn't do it unless there is no other way.

Can't you order a matching stand? Or maybe ask for one that is unfinished?

Stripping (messy), sanding (lots o' work), staining, applying new finish, sanding, applying more finish, maybe sanding again and applying more finish...no fun at all. Maybe you can skin over the stand instead?

• 3 weeks later...
Stripping (messy), sanding (lots o' work), staining, applying new finish, sanding, applying more finish, maybe sanding again and applying more finish...no fun at all. Maybe you can skin over the stand instead?

Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. After much consideration, I decided to build my own stand.

post-2631895-1237064990_thumb.jpg

Skinning a curved stand was my biggest concern, but I found a product designed to wrap a basement pole I think will be good. It's .5" strips of red oak on a flexible backing. Some corner moulding on the sides and thin casing on the top and bottom will make it all clean, but I'm trying to think of how to make the skin removable. I don't need the space under the stand as the sump is in an adjoining room, so I just need to get under there to ensure the drilled bulkheads are not leaking.

Geeez....

Nobody ever heard of Rustoleum?? :)

bob