Emerald crab up to no good?

Steve G

I have caught my emerald crab several times hanging out on an SPS coral (acropora digitata I believe). I can't tell if he's eating polyps, but should I assume so?

If so, then um, I have two emerald crabs for sale, real cheap :blush:

I got them to help control valonia. The valonia is way down, but unfortunately, I took several anti-valonia meaures all at once so it's hard to know what caused the decline, but I'd like to give my crabs credit. Have they overstayed their welcome?

I think you should bring them to the meeting so I can feed them to the new mantis shrimp we have at Floris... :biggrin:

In my experience, the mithrax crabs are generally up to no good. I have seen them in my tank in the past eating away at various things in the rock and on corals with no valonia or algae in sight...

I think you are pretty safe. I have seven emeralds and most of them will climb into my SPS colonies at night. As soon as the lights come on they climb down and go to work. I have never seen any signs that they are hurting the corals.

I think you are pretty safe. I have seven emeralds and most of them will climb into my SPS colonies at night. As soon as the lights come on they climb down and go to work. I have never seen any signs that they are hurting the corals.

Thanks. I think our bloodthirsty mantis owners in the club have ulterior motives so I'll discount their advice. :biggrin:

I have seen this crab on the corals at night a lot but the coral has been growing well. It's so hard to know what the crab is doing just by watching. Their claws and mouth move so quickly.

I think you should bring them to the meeting so I can feed them to the new mantis shrimp we have at Floris... :biggrin:

Congrats!

Pics?

FYI: Although he will eventually eat it, my mantis has a hard time with emerald crabs. Very thick shell. Fiddlers make for the best show, and are cheap. You can get them at PetSmart (but beware: LINK)

tim

Just caught one of mine eating my digitata. Definitely was removing flesh. I had been away for a week so there was light feeding... maybe he was extra hungry? Don't matter now, he's in the QT. The remaining one causes no problems. Yet.

Laura

Hermits and emerald crabs are generally reef safe only because they are small. Large Emeralds have been known to kill fish. I've had hermit crabs the size of a child's fist and they will kill every turbo snail or fish they can get their claws on.

I have no corals other than 3 mushrooms and my family misses the emerald crab that was in my tank. I can give yours a new home in my 55 if you would like- with NO mantis shrimp hiding in the rock work!