Acrylic Supplier

tree

Is there a supplier in the area for 1/2 acrylic?  I'm using an old AG tank for a sump/refugium.  I would like to make a seperate fuge & sump that would fit better in my cabinet, use the space more efficiently, & be easier to reach into if there is a need (like trimming back caulerpa).  I could use 1/4 but then I have to build a lip around the top.  I would prefer the 1/2.  If there is no supplier in the area, what is a good online source?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Care to do a building party concept?  I need a new sump as well, though I think 1/4" acrylic will do for me.

I have a lot of tools, etc., that make the job easier.  What do you think?

s

The key tool I found needed to make my sump was a good table saw with a fine tooth blade.  A plastic blade isn't needed.  I used 1/4" for a 21x12x17 sump and it is more than strong enough.  Depends on how big you want to make it- somewhere out in cyberland (perhaps the DIY section on working with acrylic at RC?) there is a guide for thickness recommendations based on size.  I ordered my sheet from US plastics, but the pieces were relatively small.

Care to do a building party concept?  I need a new sump as well, though I think 1/4" acrylic will do for me.

I have a lot of tools, etc., that make the job easier.  What do you think?

s

A building party works for me  prt   I have all the tools needed - just need a new saw blade.  I would think it would need to be a small group unless someone has a lot of space.  

I already have the plans in my head of what I want, just need to draw it out & doublecheck my measurements. Along with footprints for the sump equipment I really want.   I won't be doing anything until probably the July time frame.  Right now researching suppliers & the most cost effective method.

I just went over to ACME Plastics.

$180 for a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" Acrylic CP sheet (extruded).  Acrylic GP sheet (cast) which is recommended by the mfgr for aquarium applications is double the price.  Ouch.

I bought a sheet and $17 for Weldon #3, Weldon #16, and a needle applicator.  Total just north of $200.

I'll be using roughly 2/3'ds of this sheet for my sump.  Leftovers will be available as appropriate to members...

One really nice feature with ACME, they agreed to cut the major pieces out for me at no charge!  I had all the measurements already worked out, so I will have all the sides, bottom, main baffle pre-cut and ready to assemble.  Fiddly stuff like the skimmer setup/bubble trap/bracing I can cut myself from the left overs.

SuhWeet!

So... I guess I could hold off on assembly until this weekend... or not...

I do have the zero kerf blade.  If we arrange a time, I'd be happy to play with folks as a building party facilitator.

s

tree, you can probably get by with 1/4" since a sump has baffles, chambers and so forth to reinforce areas.  It really depends on how big the sump is.  A tank would be another story.  Garf.org has a nice calculator for building tanks.  It gives you the cut list, suggested thickness and a few other nice detail/instructions.

Reefcentral has a list of DIY supply sources on the net, acrylic suppliers included.

Guest goblinshark
il go in on the building party, in need a hang-on fuge:D

Check out my Gallery section.  I posted all my photos under the "Setups" category.  I finished the build and install of the sump this weekend.  

Final details:

34Lx18Hx15.5W

Fuge is 15.3Gals 15.5Lx16Hx14.75W

Return and skimmer section is 18.4Gals 18Lx16Hx14.75W

Center return section set for about 7" water

Total water volume sump can hold is 38Gals

I split the 1" return line with a tee to feed the fuge and then dump the rest into the return section.  Silent and works really well.

My only regret is that I can no longer put my Nilsen reactor under the tank.  Otherwise, things are really nice now.

Now I need macro algae!

s

Lesson learned:

Use a good carbon tipped blade instead of the zero-kerf plastics/laminate blade.

The carbon tipped blade on my compound mitre saw left flawless edges and cut smoothly, no melting.

The plastics/laminate blade (zillion teeth, hollowed out for narrow kerf) worked hard and always left some melted acrylic behind.

s