Big trouble brewing for the future of aquarium LEDs

kngfisher

In my search for alternative ways to light my reef tank and save a little on the home energy bill, I finally decided to look into LEDs. I had looked at both PFO Solaris I5 and the AquaIllumination offerings and then, I found this story.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/02/03/big-trouble-brewing-future-aquarium-leds/

".....patent lawsuit which was filed by the Orbital Technologies Corporation, also known as Orbitec. For some unknown reason, this primarily aerospace research and development company with over $150 Million in industry and government contracts decided to patent the use of LEDs for Marine aquariums, well after the people began to use LEDs for marine tanks and well after PFO began shipping the Solaris luminaire. Once they were awarded the really broad and obviously bogus patent, Orbitec filed a lawsuit against the most obvious aquarium LED manufacturer PFO. PFO tried to reason with the corporation, even offering to sell the lighting division to Orbitec. The suits at orbitec made it clear that they had no intention of operating in the aquarium industry and they demanded 25% royalties on all LED products sold.....the implication of this lawsuit will affect all light fixtures which use LEDs, that means Current, Aqua Illuminators, AquaFX and even all the little moonlight makers could be next on the chopping block." This was a contributin factor that resulted in " PFO Lighting, one of the leading innovators and manufacturers of aquarium lighting, laid off their entire staff."

This is yet another sad day. If the economic situation does not wipe you out then patent lawsuits will.

Edited by kngfisher