Looking for some help

jamesbuf

So I came home from the gym to see the main power to my system had been tripped. Hadn't really happened that often, but if it were to happen when I'm away on a 24hour shift, it could be disastrous. Since all the water from my frag system, tank, and Orca skimmer had drained into the 40gal breeder I'm using as a sump. The water level only gets this high when all the pumps are off, so I figured putting one of those water level detectors inside the sump would be the best way to alert others in the house that something is wrong with the tank. Were would I find something like this? It would need to have a moderately loud alarm since my tank is in the basement. Thanks for any help you can offer. I wish the ACIII had some type of alarm that could be triggered, but obviously not if the power is off to it.

BRK has them (alarms) for under $20. Works like a charm!

You can attach a 9v battery to the AC3 battery port with a homebrew connector- just take a power adaptor plug that fits the AC3, and wire a 9v battery connector to it. Then just connect a float switch or water on the floor sensor to the AC3 digital input.

You'll have to keep your modem/router on a battery backup though in case of a whole-house power outage. But if you're just worried about the tank power, this part isn't necessary.

I got a couple from Harbor Freight Tools for I think around 5 bucks each. You can choose between music or rapid beeping, both of which are obnoxiously loud and can wake the dead. I have no problem falling asleep with the RO filling now, since the alarm wakes me up.