DIY protein skimmer

Guest x2minusblndfold

Guest x2minusblndfold

Has any of u you ever try to build their own protein skimmer?? is it possible? if so, is it worth it?

On a separate note, i just finished building my own tank stand, that will hold 2 10 Gallon tanks, and 1 20 gallon tank. Once i have a picture ill post it.

I've built counter current air driven skimmers as well as a copy of a bullet-2 beckett injector skimmer.  Here's a picture of it (see gallery for post in November 2003):

http://www.wamas.org/ib3/uploads/post-3-84489-skimmer1.jpg

If you have the tools, it can save you alot of money.  What kind are you considering building?

On my first tank during grad school I made a monster CC air driven skimmer.  It really sucked some scum.

Guest x2minusblndfold
wow, they look quite hard to build..what would i need to build one?? i would like to build a skimmer that could go with my new stand that i could use on all 3 tanks at the same time. is there a way i could do that w/o having to buy those drilled tanks?

<font color='#000000'>wow, they look quite hard to build..what would i need to build one?? i would like to build a skimmer that could go with my new stand that i could use on all 3 tanks at the same time. is there a way i could do that w/o having to buy those drilled tanks?</font>

<font color='#000000'>Possible but it is very challenging to keep things at a proper level in the tanks and skimmer.

Edited by wdytat

Building a skimmer is very doable.  You can even do a "ghetto" skimmer completely out of PVC that will work.  The question at hand would be what kind of skimmer do you want?  What ever you build it's nice to have some access to the right tools.  In my case I decided I personally didn't have the right stuff to do it right.  If you have the capability to build one, the answer is generally yes... it is worth it.  

If you decide to build one, I have a plan for a "spray" skimmer I never made.  I also have a template done by Darin at ReefWerkes to use for making flanges on your riser/collector tubing.

Guest x2minusblndfold
a spray skimmer?? that sounds interesting enough to give it a shot. and i can get the PVC piping and stuff cuz i work in a small depotment store. it would problie need air pumps right??