Building party

michaelg

Weather's good and a lot of DIY talk lately.  Who is up for one?  Can anyone host who has a good assortment of tools?  My tools are a bit limited, though I am happy to bring what I have.  Drill press and table saw are ideal for many projects.  

The way we have done this in the past was have people pick up their own supplies- though we did pool a couple orders for certain items like acrylic tubing.  I need some help with building an acrylic sump.

Michael

Guest snapper

I'd host but the wife would have me shot for doing it this close to the last hosting................

Ah, if only she had the same salt water affliction......

I suppose I could do a repeat performance from last year!

This time, I'll have wood working tools as well, as I have to do the hood upgrade for my new MH lights...

Will discuss w/wife and find out acceptable weekends.

s

Guest tgallo
i mite be able to host, when are you all thinking about, also i dont drink so bring your own beer. if it works out ill supply the food and soda.

This one actually becomes a "my tools are bigger than yours" party for the host.

I can provide a table saw, drill press, compound mitre saw, assorted drill bits (low/high speed, spade), zero kerf blades, working tables, etc.

ante up!

No idea on date yet.  still discussing w/wife.  sooner is better.  these MH lights are burning a hole in my ...

s

2 weekends from now would give people time to get their stuff together.  That would be the 5th.  Following weekend is our meeting, the one after that is Easter weekend (19th)- which I can do, not sure about others.

Michael

Guest andrejka
What happened to our "trip to the Zoo" project? Has it being postponed again?

Trip to the zoo is TBA at this point due to Tamie's knee surgery.  She can't return to work until she is 100%.  It will happen though!  I have asked to have the home page changed.

Guest cuc
I can bring tools-drill, drill bits, hole saws, mieter saw and alot more. I also have 2in and 4in acrylic tubing and pieces. The one thing we could use would be a router. I think we have a baby shower to host April 5 so I might not be able to make it. Maybe we can host and make it a duel party. :D That prob wouldn't go over well with the mrs's.

I have a Porter Cable router.  Decent range of bits as well.  Forgot to mention the nail guns.  Have a finish nailer and a framing nailer, lots of galvanized nails.  Great to frame up one's hood.  Wish I had a brad nailer... :p

Tools seem to be in abundance.

I would like to recommend Sunday the 6th.  Can folks make that?

s

Guest snapper

I have a flux capacitor, it runs at about 1.21 gigawatts.  Anyone able to generate that kind of power?

I know the Italian stallions, Tgallo and Eddi can, but how bout the rest of you locos

Guest tgallo
i have a gigabritor beleneon flaberblaster that can do some  damage, your all welcome to it even you eric.

Guest phillipw
Now if you can figure out how to power the gigabritor beleneon flaberblaster with the flux capacitor you'll really have something....

Guest snapper

All we need is a couple of fetzer vavles, some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, wait, make that quaker state.

BTW, Champoin Lighting is the sole distributor of fetzer valves, and they are on back order......

MaGuiver finally found his way to our DIY forum.

We've made it to the big time now boys!

I'm a new member and I like to put together some DIY projects.  I'm interested in how this works.  Does everyone get together and build their own project (getting tips/advice from others)?  In the future I want to build some stuff out of acrylic - but have never worked with it before.  I would like to just show up and watch to pick up some tips.

The way we have done it in the past is that people get their own supplies and we help each other out.  Usually there are 1 or 2 specific items people want to build, but regardless, some kind soul opens his house and lets us use some powertools that not all of us have such as table saws, drill presses, etc.  

BTW I have a tap for 1/2" MPT (to make a threaded hole for 1/2" fittings.  I used it on PVC, and it works well.

I may have a conflict on the 6th.  Laying a tile floor in the family room of my house.  This is an instance of "wife takes priority" in the list of things to do.

I have not seen a lot of "committed" builders.  What projects are out there?  Calc reactors? Nilsen reactors? Hoods?

Who's ready to build what?

Want to do this on the 13th?  Then Sally Jo can see us "working together".  Kum Ba Yah!

Or is that tax weekend for all and not a good idea?

s

Guest phillipw
I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for one of these building parties and have yet to get the final approval from my wife but most likely I will be upgrading to a 120 gallon tank in the near future. I am thinking about building my own stand. Does anyone have any experience with this? I built my current hood but am a bit leery about building a stand and getting everything level so the tank is not stressed. If nothing else it would be nice to get the framing built. If it is not possible to do at one of these parties I would like any suggestions/pointers I can get.

Guest snapper

I've been busy, since the hosting on march 15th, I've built two more Nilsen reactors and my first skimmer, based on ideas given to me by Nathan.

All in all, in the last month, I've built three nilsens, two Ca reactors and a skimmer, whew, lot of fun, but still can improve upon technique.

Sure hope we find someone to host, I'd love to refine with other folks' input!!!

Eric

PS, I taught McGyver everything he knows......

I am full into building a sump, have acrylic, weldon 16, some silicon, and the plans all drawn out.  Looks like we should shoot for  Saturday the 19th, else the 13th as Steve suggested?

Eric, what kind o skimmer did you make?

Michael

19th is better for me.  I can probably host it then.

As for building stands, why not?  If we are doing woodworking, what the heck.  Seems like a doable thing to frame/level/create a stand.  Anyone got plans to share?  TRT folks said they did.  I'll check.

s

Yeah- stand building sounds cool to add to the mission.  As long as Philip has a means to get it home.  

Just a forewarning, frequently projects have some finishing to do at home, though this thing I would think we could get all leveled up and framed given that enough pre-planning is done such as making sure all materials are on hand, and boards are premarked.  

Hey Kimo, do you think you can make it with your can of weldon #3?  Else, possible to bring it to the meeting on the 12th?

Guest Kimo

Yeah, I can bring the weldon.  I'm going to try to get it to Eric before then, if he still needs it.

The #3 is like water - almost thinner, like alchohol.  It's got a kick too - You it outside.

I find it hard to use accurately.  #16 is easier if you don't really care what the joint looks like.

Jamie

Guest snapper

I made a counter-flow skimmer with a level controller similar to the euro-reef skimmers.  I have a MD7 running it, but think it is a little too underpowered.  At the suction is an air-infusion venturi tube.

For the "bottleneck" at the top, I used two PVC 4" to 2" reducers with the 2" ends touching (4" ends face the floor and ceiling)  I'll try to post a pic tonight.

It looks pretty nice but needs for pump and air, any recommendations?

Kimo,  where di you order the weld-on 3 and 16 from?  I'll go ahead and order some to have on-hand.

Snapper