Red Sea Prizm on Biocube 29

bamainva

I was wondering if anyone that has owned or currently owns an 29g biocube has had a HOB protein skimmer, specifically the Red Sea Prizm. It looks like it might be a tight squeeze in the 2nd filter chamber and trying to see if it did actually fit. If not the Red Sea has anyone tried other ones. I have a 3 inches between the back of the tank and the wall, so that was my reasoning for the Red Sea Prizm.

If there are some other ideas let me know.

Thanks

Mike

I was wondering if anyone that has owned or currently owns an 29g biocube has had a HOB protein skimmer, specifically the Red Sea Prizm. It looks like it might be a tight squeeze in the 2nd filter chamber and trying to see if it did actually fit. If not the Red Sea has anyone tried other ones. I have a 3 inches between the back of the tank and the wall, so that was my reasoning for the Red Sea Prizm.

If there are some other ideas let me know.

Thanks

Mike

There are a couple of skimmers made to fit in the middle chamber of the biocube. I think oceanic is actually making one right now, and Sapphire was the first company to do it. the sapphire one works OK, but is very dependent on water level.

There are a couple of skimmers made to fit in the middle chamber of the biocube. I think oceanic is actually making one right now, and Sapphire was the first company to do it. the sapphire one works OK, but is very dependent on water level.

Thanks...I saw that nanocustom is just now releasing on that fits in the middle chamber and Oceanic has a small one that goes in the middle chamber. I'll definitely have to do a little more research on those two and look at what Sapphire has out there.

Appreciate it.

Thanks

Sapphire's BC29R has been redesigned. The newer skimmer design (released late last year) is a recirculating skimmer and has a built-in gate valve to achieve some independence from the water level in the second chamber.

I'm aware of 2 half-way decent skimmers that work in the second chamber. The first is the Sapphire already mentioned. It fits without any mod to the chamber (except to remove the false bottom). The second is a Tunze 9002 doc which requires a little bit of cutting so the cup can fit. Both skimmers get decent attention from BC29 owners.

Oceanic makes a skimmer, but it's an air-driven skimmer. It's much cheaper and I can't say I've read much on it regarding performance.

I was not happy with my Prizm. There are numerous references to Prizm in this thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...amp;#entry52409

Steve

Thanks Steve appreciate the link.

Sapphire's BC29R has been redesigned. The newer skimmer design (released late last year) is a recirculating skimmer and has a built-in gate valve to achieve some independence from the water level in the second chamber.

I'm aware of 2 half-way decent skimmers that work in the second chamber. The first is the Sapphire already mentioned. It fits without any mod to the chamber (except to remove the false bottom). The second is a Tunze 9002 doc which requires a little bit of cutting so the cup can fit. Both skimmers get decent attention from BC29 owners.

Oceanic makes a skimmer, but it's an air-driven skimmer. It's much cheaper and I can't say I've read much on it regarding performance.

Thanks..going to look a little deeper into the Sapphire BC29R.

Appreciate everyone's responses.

Mike

Not positive, but I thought the tunze nano (9002) fit in that chamber. And mediabasketsdotcom sells a replacement cup that allows you to close the hood, not to mention media baskets. All in all pricey, but can't beat the tunze.