durso standpipes ???

michaelg

I want to put one of these on my overflow.  How high should the pipe come up?  Do people put a screen on them to keep snails out (big concern- I had a snail clog an RR overflow in my younger days), or should I cut some grating to fit the hole ?

Guest JFish

Here's a picture of where I have mine on my 58... I used 1 and a quarter inch 28 gauge PVC and a street el as the elbow.

You can see where the water level was when I did the test run.  I have the end cap even with the top frame of the tank.

dursofuge.JPG

HTH,

Guest Kimo

Michael,

I use the dursos, and the top of mine are even with the top of the overflow box.  I don't have a strainer yet, but I will probably use some pipe of the same size as the standpipe with lots of holes/slots drilled/cut into it.  This will strain out debris, snails, etc. without getting clogged.  The pipes would be fairly long to provide a lot of surface areas so that flow is not reduced.

If you wanted to you could even wrap them with a prefilter - that would be good for the southdown cloud.

Jamie

I have one in my 90 AGA, normally done with 1" pvc pipe,but mine is with 1 1/2" bigger hole in the top cap, here is a pic but not from my tank, so you get to see the parts that you need.

Standpipe06.jpg

I use a slip cap for the top, drill a hole thikness + or less of a pen, and thats it. pretty quiet! I dont use any grating.as for the hight there are 4 to 5 inches from the intake of the water and the top of the overflow.

here is a pic from Richard Durso's standpipe

standpipe.jpg

hope it helps

OK I think I got it- now another question that I have been wondering about for a long time- how come no one uses the overflow with this much water as a refugium?

I did that when I had my 37 Oceanic....it can get pretty messy and that would really get clogged with the coulerpa growth, and very uncomfortable to work with :laugh:  IMO stay away from that idea.

my 2 cents.

Was thinking more along the lines of course sand and rubble.  Not necessarily algae in there.  Do people ever need to pull the bulkheads?

Michaelg,

I have a 4" section of PVC full of 1/4" holes with a endcap on the durso's intake to keep snails out like Kimo describes; works great.  I can see pods running-around the bottom of my overflow box and a few baby snails in there.  LR rubble sounds like a neat idea.  When the power goes-out it remains submerged.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing- wasn't sure if it would affect how it works though.  Glad to see you have tested it already.

I want to put one of these on my overflow.  How high should the pipe come up?  Do people put a screen on them to keep snails out (big concern- I had a snail clog an RR overflow in my younger days), or should I cut some grating to fit the hole ?

Durso recommends about a 2" water fall from the overflow.  Keeps the surface in the overflow active and stops it from getting all slimed up.  Also keeps noise down from the water overflowing in.

His website has all the details...

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe_frame.htm

s

I have durso sandpipes on both of my overflows.  The work very well.  More to Michael's point though - an urchin Glenn gave me ended up in the overflow.  Fortunately my tank has two overflows, so no disaster there.  However, without some sort of screen, you are risking total melt down if it should become clogged.  Both overflows in my case are mini-refugiums.  A little algae growth, some sand from the main tank and lots of 'pods.

-T

Guest JFish
that urchin thing is getting me worried...how did the urchin get into the overflow to begin with?  I couldn't see it climbing over the overflow...just trying to figure that one out as I have a pretty nice sized diadema in my tank.

Depends on the type of urchin, but some can easily crawl along the glass, so what's to keep them going over the overflow?

Guest JFish
im just thinking that it would be unnatural for them to climb out of water...just what I observe with mine though, when it's near the top it always bends its spines so they're never sticking out of the water.