Next move

notajr.fan

As disappointing this week has been for me, I want to keep my carpet anemone just due to its size and the attachment I have to it after keeping it all these years. So I am thinking about a LPS tank with my carpet anemone. I guess the goal would be to find the biggest clownish fish possible to fill up a 75g tank. Not sure if they are locally available in that size. This is a long term project I am not thinking about making this happen over the weekend.

Second, many of you have mentioned that I may have a hitchhiker knocking off my larger fish. What would be the best was to take my current live rock out of the tank and let the hitchhikers die off (is that even a good idea?). I'm kicking around the idea of ordering about 100 pounds of marcorocks or even eco rox so that I don't have to worry about any hitchhikers.

I just set up a 20 quarantine tank so that I reduce the chance this happens to me again. Would putting m current live rock in that tank do my any good or should I just let it dry out and start from square one.

Again, any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Why not just try the clowns and the carpet for a few weeks or months and see how that goes? If the carpet is big enough, you might be able to do a school of clowns.

If you have a predatory hitchhiker, which I doubt after years of never seeing it, you could try a cheap solution by creating a trap from a 20oz water bottle. Cut the top off where it begins to taper, and invert it back into the bottle. Add a piece of shrimp and put it in your tank after lights out. Check it in an hour or two, if you have a hungry hitchhiker it will probably be inside or trying to get in the trap.

I wouldn't suggest taking out all the rock, that will set you back at square one with a new cycle, algae blooms, etc. It sounds like you have a thriving tank as far as corals and anemones go, which is not something to casually throw away on a weak premise.

Why not just try the clowns and the carpet for a few weeks or months and see how that goes? If the carpet is big enough, you might be able to do a school of clowns.

If you have a predatory hitchhiker, which I doubt after years of never seeing it, you could try a cheap solution by creating a trap from a 20oz water bottle. Cut the top off where it begins to taper, and invert it back into the bottle. Add a piece of shrimp and put it in your tank after lights out. Check it in an hour or two, if you have a hungry hitchhiker it will probably be inside or trying to get in the trap.

I wouldn't suggest taking out all the rock, that will set you back at square one with a new cycle, algae blooms, etc. It sounds like you have a thriving tank as far as corals and anemones go, which is not something to casually throw away on a weak premise.

+1

If the carpet is big enough it would awesome to have a small school hosting in it. It's a very cool look and different from the mated pair hosting.

As for removing your rock I agree with ctenophore, you'll going to take 10 steps backwards to go forward once. Set a trap

Thanks guys, I really do want to use the carpet as the centerpiece of my tank. I currently have only one false oc. What would be the best clowns to use to set up as a school? And again, thanks for support, two days ago I was ready to get rid of every piece of aquarium gear in my house.

I think pink skunk clowns will host in carpets. I have had them in a small school before (4 or 5) and they did well. They are one of my favorites, but that's just my preference. I think you can also go with saddleback (polymnus) or clarkiis.

If you have anything more than a pair, my favorite clowns to have in a school are the pink skunks. As for getting rid of the hitch hiker, you could always try an octopus :lol2:, I'd give any hitch hikers a week, unless it's a big smasher type mantis. I would not take your rock apart though. Try looking int he tank at night with moon lights or red light preferably. Make sure you have dark clothes on, spread pieces of shrimp around the sandbed and maybe on the rocks, then just sit back and watch for 30-60 min. Don't move or at least move fast though, if there is anything in there, it will most definetly see you before you see it.

I think pink skunk clowns will host in carpets. I have had them in a small school before (4 or 5) and they did well. They are one of my favorites, but that's just my preference. I think you can also go with saddleback (polymnus) or clarkiis.

you can school clarkii with this anemone also. but they are less attractive IMO.

here is a good site that shows anemone and hosts

could it be possible that the carpet is snagging the larger fish...they will do that. or are you finding corpses?

also domino damsels will host in a carpet in the wild..but they are mini monsters

Edited by GaryL

A tank full of baby dominos with a bunch of colorful corals and anemone(s) would be a nice display. I'll bet if you get 20-30 dominos they wouldn't get territorial, and you could keep a few other (cheap) fish too. Maybe other damsels?

I recently discovered my carpet eats fish.... but only small fish... doesn't bother the six tangs.... but I have lost chromis, potters angel, mandarin, firefish, etc to the carpet.

In my 90 gallon I have 5 anemonies a bunch of LPS and softies and a pair of tomato clowns. This tank kinda happend on accident because it was supposed to be my fuge but has turned into a really beautiful tank. I am considering doing exactly what you mention. I have a pair of Clarkis in my 210, tomato's in the 90 and am being given a pair of black clowns. I will look into the pink skunk clowns as well.

I am thinking of taking out most of the other fish in the 90 and doing something like you mention. I live in Alexandria as well if you want to come by sometime I always enjoy talking about ideas. I do not currently have a carpet anemonie and wonder if it would be a problem with my BTA.

I don't know your history or if you've lost clowns, but I would list the haddoni carpet as a suspect. If you do not have any sort of nightlight in the room or a moonlight over the tank I would be even more suspicious. S. haddoni is notorious for catching and eating sleepy fish that bump into them at night. Adding a light source will go a long way toward protecting your fish if the haddoni is the culprit.

If you have heard clicking or popping sounds then perhaps a mantis. It could also be a bullying fish. There are not always fin nips. Some fish can be starved by mere intimidation.

Edited by WDLV