COWLR Anyone?

Sharkey18

Hi All.

I posted a few weeks ago about all my fish dying from ick. I am in the process of setting up a QT and also decided not to add any fish back into the display tank for 6 weeks to be sure all the ick parasites are gone. At about the same time I removed the bio-balls from the sump and a ton of built up detritus that I thought was increasing my ammonia -->nitrates. I am also running an algae scrubber which is only growing hair algae so far but it consistently grows back after cleaning. Hopefully I'll have real turf one day :).

The results: ALL of my nuisance hair algae is gone!! I know it all makes sense. Less waste, less ammonia, less nutrients for the algae etc. etc. But it is awesome!!! My rock is all clear, I am finally starting to get some healthy coraline (not overgrown by hair) and my corals are doing better too. I am feeding them heavily now and they are responding by growing, dividing etc.

My tank is less than a year old, 9 months I think, and I believe it was either not completely cycled or overloaded or a little of both... probably both. Readings today: no ammonia, low nitrates (5), and no phosphate.

So my question is this: does anyone run a tank with NO FISH? Coral only with Live Rock :) COWLR.

I do plan on adding fish back but I will probably wait longer than the 6 weeks for the ick. I want to let my tank mature more, let the coralline grow and continue to feed the coral. What I will do is when I add fish back I will do it very very slowly and follow all levels closely. I think Ill let the tank tell me what it can handle rather than the other way around.

Laura

it will be easier to maintain you nutrients with no fish. way less detritus with no fish. if you can stand having no fish it is a good idea.

Yeah I KNOW!

I am already itching to put some fish in there... but I am going to TRY and hold off a little longer and be really careful about what and how many I add back.

Laura