Acrylic / Acrylite FF

Ziggy953

Hey gang.

Anyone know of a local source for acrylic/arcylite ff? I need to build a new sump for my system and finding that stuff is like pulling hens teeth.

Thanks for any help!

You want to stay away from FF material for sump building or tank building as it has a lot of styrene in it where the bonding properties aren't nearly as good as the cast "GP" material.

Use Plexi G

Polycast/Spartech

Acrilite GP

You want to stay away from FF material for sump building or tank building as it has a lot of styrene in it where the bonding properties aren't nearly as good as the cast "GP" material.

Use Plexi G

Polycast/Spartech

Acrilite GP

Interesting. The site I've gotten most of my acrylic building information uses FF. The only time I've read of him using GP was when building a very large sump.

FF is not nearly as good bonding to itself as compared to the others I listed. Do what you want but, from my experience its something you want to stay away from and given the price is not that much more for the safety of not adding more risk to a diy failure its well worth the extra $$.

Thanks for the info...I'm rather new to the Acrylic DIY thing so any advice is appreciated. I would much rather spend a few extra $$ in the beginning then have a disaster later.

thanks!

Your welcome and spending that little bit extra and what that gives you is well worth it. I have seen & heard horror stories with FF or any other extruded material (which ff is) coming apart after anywhere from 30 days to as long as two years. Basically think of FF material as a piece of steak with a lot of fat (or what I call fillers in the material) and the GP or the other brands mentioned are much leaner where with the bonding qualities are far better.

Your welcome and spending that little bit extra and what that gives you is well worth it. I have seen & heard horror stories with FF or any other extruded material (which ff is) coming apart after anywhere from 30 days to as long as two years. Basically think of FF material as a piece of steak with a lot of fat (or what I call fillers in the material) and the GP or the other brands mentioned are much leaner where with the bonding qualities are far better.

They have a piedmont we use in beltsville near college park md they are great.

Jeff - you have some suggestions concerning the 'glue' as well, but I can't find them right now.

What do you suggest for bonding the acrylic when making a tank??

bob

If bonding on a machined/routed/jointed edge weldon 4 or 5 will work best. Using the pin method works well with these solvents when you have a good edge to bond to. I don't reccommend these solvents whatsoever when using a sawcut edge.

Weldon16 is good for a filler but, really has no strength as that really has a lot of "fillers" mixed in the solvent used to thicken it up. I am speaking in laymans terms here. 40 is a little better but, really likes to be annealed to max out it's strength potential. It does breakdown after a couple of years especially when there is UV light exposure and in our hobby that pertains particularly to halides. Its' slow to cure but, that gives it its strength.

The big difference between the Weldon 3, 4, & 5 is the amount of time it takes to setup. 5 sets up the slowest of the solvent bonds and on small sumps and tanks for the novice IMO is the best but, 4 isn't much different and far more available locally. 3 really sets up fast and doesn't offer much strength due to this but, it's better than 16 anyday.

hth's