Additional Stock Recommendations

sturnmeyer

Afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to add to my stocklist on my 125g Reef. Given the current stock, what would you suggest.

Current List:

Yellow Tang

Hippo Tang

Picasso Trigger

(2) Percs

Yellow Tail Damsel

Any recommendations will be appreciated, including those really rare additions.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to add to my stocklist on my 125g Reef. Given the current stock, what would you suggest.

Current List:

Yellow Tang

Hippo Tang

Picasso Trigger

(2) Percs

Yellow Tail Damsel

Thanks in advance.

You have this listed as a reef, but I see the picasso trigger. The picasso trigger isn't generally considered reef safe. If this isn't truly a reef, then I'd recommend an angel that most can't keep - maybe a majestic angel. If it is a reef, then you're really nowhere near the max for that tank so you can add almost anything - any of the acanthurus tangs - sohal, achilles, powder blue.

Thanks,

Yep it is a reef. I got very lucky with my Trigger.

I'd love to do a purple tang, but the yellow is well established. WHat if I add another yellow and the purple at the same time?

oh, and if the yellow tang is established, i wouldn't recommend the purple.

Thanks,

Yep it is a reef. I got very lucky with my Trigger.

I'd love to do a purple tang, but the yellow is well established. WHat if I add another yellow and the purple at the same time?

You can always try it. The "rule" is that you can't mix zebrasomas. But I have a purple and a sailfin together and I see yellows and purples mixed all the time. In a 125 you may have enough space - just be sure there are tons of hiding places. Be prepared to rearrange all your rocks as well - that can mitigate aggression.

Personally, I would not put in Achilles, Powder Blue and Sohal tangs.

Reason below:

Achilles and Powder Blue are prone to ick and they prefer to be the first tangs in an aquarium tank. Given a yellow and a hippo tangs already established. They both will harrash any of the above constantly and the ick will occur in a few days. Speaking from my own experience. If the sturnmeyer have a tank twice the current size then they might have success introducing a Powder Blue. Achilles on the other hand is a little bit harder to take care than powder blue. I forgot the reason, a quick look up on wetwebmedia.com should help your reading.

Sohal tang needs a large tank when it is fully grown. 125g might not have enough room for its to swim with the other 2 tangs. Just a few thoughts, not in critical meant or tang police.

Concur with a juvenile Majestic Angel is a good recommendation with a good chance of success living in a reef tank. When it becomes adult, it has a high chance of not nipping at LPS.

Edited by vaironman

Personally, I would not put in Achilles, Powder Blue and Sohal tangs.

Reason below:

Achilles and Powder Blue are prone to ick and they prefer to be the first tangs in an aquarium tank. Given a yellow and a hippo tangs already established. They both will harrash any of the above constantly and the ick will occur in a few days. Speaking from my own experience. If the sturnmeyer have a tank twice the current size then they might have success introducing a Powder Blue. Achilles on the other hand is a little bit harder to take care than powder blue. I forgot the reason, a quick look up on wetwebmedia.com should help your reading.

Sohal tang needs a large tank when it is fully grown. 125g might not have enough room for its to swim with the other 2 tangs. Just a few thoughts, not in critical meant or tang police.

Concur with a juvenile Majestic Angel is a good recommendation with a good chance of success living in a reef tank. When it becomes adult, it has a high chance of not nipping at LPS.

Thanks for the thoughts. I couldn't agree more with what you said about the Powder Blue and Sohal. I wasn't planning on either of those. What about the Powder Brown? Do they have the same issues as the Powder Blue?

From a quick search on wetwebmedia, powder brown has similar difficulties to keep as powder blue. Not a very good search but the link below should give you an idea on this specie.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/powdrbrnfaqs.htm

"- Help with Ick on a Goldrim Achilles Tang - 6/14/06

I am interested in a Goldrim achilles hybrid at the local LFS but he has bad ich. They don't seem to know very much. I suggested vitamin C and algae to feed and Kick Ick but they don't know about any of it. <I don't know that the Kick Ich is a good idea.> Would I be better off to buy it and treat it myself or let them teat it. <Your choice - one of the two ways will cost you nothing.> I guess I should ask if the fish would be better off. <Too late for that...> I think I know more than them but do you have any tips as to aid in its survival.

<You can try but when these tangs get sick for real, they rarely make a comeback. You'd have to have a large quarantine system with excellent water quality to even begin to turn this fish around. Odds are not in your favor.>

Thanks, James G.

PS. They are only asking 40 dollars so I wouldn't be out too much...

<Or... you could save your $40 for the next one that comes in healthy. Cheers, J -- >

Goldrim Tang question what? 3/27/06

Bob, <James today. Bob is in Hawaii chomping at the bit to get home.>

How are you? Love the site. <Thank you.> Wanted to ask a question about tangs.......I was wondering about the durability of the goldrim tang. Is it better than the Achilles Tang? <I would say yes.> I tried two of the achilles tangs and they both got Ich and died. <Acclimation/quarantine?> In you articles you say they are more durable than most of the tangs in this family. Also, would a Sohal tang be a better fit. I know you feel that these fish are very hardy. <Hardy for a fish in this family. Cannot compare to damsel hardiness for sure.> My tank is only 100 gallons and I have a yellow and purple tang. When I did have the Achilles tang, all three got along fine. I would love an experts advise. <I wouldn't add another tang in your 100. The tangs you have will get quite large and three will be a crowd.>

Thanks, <You're welcome. James (Salty Dog)>

Jeromy "

Edited by vaironman

How about a Desjardini Tang like this one-

That's a zebrasoma species and will likely fight with the yellow. I think I'd go with an angel of some sort. Majestic and Regal both come to mind.

Edited by Brian Ward

What about a foxface or rabbitfish? There are some beautiful varieties out there, and do well with additional algea control and would mix well. Otherwise, one of the (supposedly) reef-safe butterflies like the pyramid?

Jon

What do you guys/gals think about a Lion? I don't have any LPS and the only fish small enough to get in its mouth would be the Damsel. I can move him to my 30 gal.

Scott

How about a young Emperor Andel? You can observe it change and they have tons of personality.

Yeah, that is definitely a possibility that I'm looking at. Do you think it'll be okay with SPS and Zoas?

Mine is fine with all the corals but sometimes nips on zoas. Never did when she was a baby but since she started changing she sometimes gets into mischief. I do not keep zoas now and everything is good. She never touched ugly brown palys - go figure :eek:

Mine is fine with all the corals but sometimes nips on zoas. Never did when she was a baby but since she started changing she sometimes gets into mischief. I do not keep zoas now and everything is good. She never touched ugly brown palys - go figure :eek:

LOL...yeah, tell me about it.

Afternoon everyone,

Current List:

Yellow Tang

Hippo Tang

Picasso Trigger

(2) Percs

Yellow Tail Damsel

Thanks in advance.

No experience with really rare stuff, but all of these would look good and do well IMO:

Royal gramma (b/c you don't have anything purple yet)

flame angel (even a trio maybe)

Copperband

neon gobies (2-4 of them - won't add to the stocking level much but look really cool stuck to the side of the tangs)

watchman goby

Lyretail anthias

firefish

wrasse

What about a foxface or rabbitfish? There are some beautiful varieties out there, and do well with additional algea control and would mix well. Otherwise, one of the (supposedly) reef-safe butterflies like the pyramid?

Jon

I had a Pyramid and he was not Reef safe. He destroyed a open brain, Hydnophora, and a couple of Acro's. You really have to watch the Foxface they have been known to be Polyp nippers.