Lowering Alk

trockafella

What is the best way to lower the alk just a little bit... I didnt have an overdose or anything, just need to bring it down a small amount.. Just water changes without adding alk or is there another SAFE way.. Thanks..

What is the best way to lower the alk just a little bit... I didnt have an overdose or anything, just need to bring it down a small amount.. Just water changes without adding alk or is there another SAFE way.. Thanks..

I believe you just let it come down on its own.

The safest way is probably just to let your corals consume it. You'll find that alk drops a lot faster, proportionally, than calcium levels. The second way is through water changes with water that is, obviously, lower in total alkalinity. Do you find yourself with unusually high alk levels?

BTW, some tanks run successfully with very high alk levels (like 14+).

Edited by Origami2547

Its not overly high at all.. Its at 11-12, i would like to get it down to 8-9 range.. I figured it would come down on its own, and water changes would help as well..

Will anything cause alk to go up wothout adding chemicals..?

Its not overly high at all.. Its at 11-12, i would like to get it down to 8-9 range.. I figured it would come down on its own, and water changes would help as well..

Will anything cause alk to go up wothout adding chemicals..?

If your Ca is under 400-375, I wouldn't worry about lowering it.

Typically the Ca is around 425-450... If i keep the Ca there, should i bring the alk down..?

No. You should be quite happy where you are. As others have said, the natural direction for alkalinity is downward, so doing nothing will be fine. Once you start micromanaging your chemistry, you will waste your time and money, and probably end up destabilizing things.

If you haven't read this article, it was a huge help to me: RHF Ca and alk

No. You should be quite happy where you are. As others have said, the natural direction for alkalinity is downward, so doing nothing will be fine. Once you start micromanaging your chemistry, you will waste your time and money, and probably end up destabilizing things.

If you haven't read this article, it was a huge help to me: RHF Ca and alk

I have a hard time getting it up past 8-9. so be happy you have it that high. :clap: Which I believe is a good/safe/recommended value.

Ron

I just want it a little lower bc i do vodka dosing, and i have gotten a few burnt tips, nothing major before everyone pounds me for dosing... they recommend keeping the alk at 8-9, hey ron maybe we should trade alk's... everything else in the tank is flourishing, just a couple i have noticed have done that... Easily reversible though..

I just want it a little lower bc i do vodka dosing, and i have gotten a few burnt tips, nothing major before everyone pounds me for dosing... they recommend keeping the alk at 8-9, hey ron maybe we should trade alk's... everything else in the tank is flourishing, just a couple i have noticed have done that... Easily reversible though..

If I tell my wife I am trying to raise my alk level, she would let me "dose" daily? :biggrin: