Hi Silica content

Lunker

My tank is 4 1/2 months old. I have used a 5 stage RO/DI water unit from the beginning with regular water changes. The sand was Caribsea Aragonite and sand. I have been sending water samples to Aquarium Water Testing.com (AWT) for the past 4 months. All major readings (14 specific test) from these test are good except for Silica. Recommended exceptable readings are suggested to be between 0.000 and 0.500 mg/L.

My Si AWT results for the last 4 months were recorded as hi.

month 1) 0.8

month 2) 1.1

month 3) 0.7

month 4) 1.3

So last month I purchased a Carbolitreactor and fill the unit using Rowa-Phos in hopes of recuding the Silica. I filled about 1/3 of the reactor with the phos medium, ran RO/DI water through it a couple of times in order to reduce the dark coloring of the Rowa-Phos. I put the unit in my sump unsing a Maxijet 1200. The unit ran for about two weeks prior to sending my water sample and receiving test number 4.

Yesterday, I purchased a Salifert Si test kit. I wanted to see were the Silica could be originating from. So I tested both fresh RO/DI water and my display tank. To my surprise, neither test indicated any Si. I was very meticulous on following the test method and times of the Salifert test.

Any suggestions or advice?? :why:

I thought the two main sources of silica were from either having a silica based sand in your system or by not getting all of the silica out of your tap water. When was the last time you changed your DI resin???

I thought the two main sources of silica were from either having a silica based sand in your system or by not getting all of the silica out of your tap water. When was the last time you changed your DI resin???

I still have the original RO/DI filters, 4 months of use. My TDS readings are "0". My puzzlement is that the Salifert readings for both my RO/DI and DT are negligable but the lab test for my DT are 1.3 mg/L for Silica.

Lunker,

I'm sure that you've read that AWT's tests are not as reliable as one would hope....

And I'll second Zygote, do you actually have a problem in your tank? Diatom blooms are said to be caused by excess silica...is that what you're seeing?

-R

Lunker,

I'm sure that you've read that AWT's tests are not as reliable as one would hope....

And I'll second Zygote, do you actually have a problem in your tank? Diatom blooms are said to be caused by excess silica...is that what you're seeing?

-R

My tank hasn't had any appearance of any sort of brown algea (diatom Bloom). If I have been experiecing some sort of diatom bloom, I guess that I'm to green to the hobby to notice. :blush: I do have more green hair algea in spots, that I would like but that can probably be attributed to the fact that I don't have any fish (Blennies or Tangs ect) in the DT, only cleanup crews. I decided a month ago to rid the tank of any possible "ich". I took what few fish that I did have and have isolated them from the DT into a hyposalinity QT tank. I hope to restock within a couple of weeks.

I have suspected that maybe I don't really have a problem, but the consistent 4 month results has prompted me to at least ask questions and for advice.

I have heard once something to the effect that maybe AWT is to be questioned. As a newbie, I felt that having them test my water for the first year amounted to a little insurance of sort.

thanks

My tank hasn't had any appearance of any sort of brown algea (diatom Bloom). If I have been experiecing some sort of diatom bloom, I guess that I'm to green to the hobby to notice. :blush: I do have more green hair algea in spots, that I would like but that can probably be attributed to the fact that I don't have any fish (Blennies or Tangs ect) in the DT, only cleanup crews. I decided a month ago to rid the tank of any possible "ich". I took what few fish that I did have and have isolated them from the DT into a hyposalinity QT tank. I hope to restock within a couple of weeks.

I have suspected that maybe I don't really have a problem, but the consistent 4 month results has prompted me to at least ask questions and for advice.

I have heard once something to the effect that maybe AWT is to be questioned. As a newbie, I felt that having them test my water for the first year amounted to a little insurance of sort.

thanks

What water are they testing, your source water or your ro/di water? I'd be curious to know.

What water are they testing, your source water or your ro/di water? I'd be curious to know.

Bill,

The water that they are testing is from my Display Tank.

Ron

I agree with Lancer99. This company does not have good quality test equipment in my opinion. I have seen many test results from this company that states they have high silica content.