Purple Mushroom?

wfoxfox

I brought a rock home that had a small, dime size, soft purple mushroom looking thing on it......... Now I have about 75 that are the size of a half dollar. What are they? What can I do to kill/remove them? Thanks ( my first post.....)

Probably, as you said, mushrooms! They can proliferate very quickly. You can manually remove them and trade them to others or introduce something that packs a more potent sting than them to limit their growth. Other than that, you can try to kill them, but if there are that many of them, your tank could get really polluted by doing so.

you can give some to me? where are you located? you can kalk some of them?

Also consider selling/trading some to your local LFS

Edited by jason the filter freak

Oh I hope you won't kill them. There are people here who are looking for donations for the Cancer center as well as several schools in addition to folks who would just enjoy having them in their tank if they're purple mushrooms.

Please consider putting them out on the forum for sale/trade/free and hopefully you will get a positive response.

Maureen

I brought a rock home that had a small, dime size, soft purple mushroom looking thing on it......... Now I have about 75 that are the size of a half dollar. What are they? What can I do to kill/remove them? Thanks ( my first post.....)

Are they a nice deep purple? chip the rock up, so that mushrooms have a bit of rock attached, glue them to nice little pieces of rock - and sell them. Or trade them in at your local fish store for store credit. Some mushrooms in some tanks, grow like crazy. In other tanks, other mushrooms - can be very slow.

bob

you can give some to me? where are you located? you can kalk some of them?

I am in Purcellville, VA - about 15 minutes west of Leesburg. Come on over. I have many leathers and soft corals that are getting huge. Bring a knife :-)

Are they a nice deep purple? chip the rock up, so that mushrooms have a bit of rock attached, glue them to nice little pieces of rock - and sell them. Or trade them in at your local fish store for store credit. Some mushrooms in some tanks, grow like crazy. In other tanks, other mushrooms - can be very slow.

bob

Yes, they are a very deep purple. I need to find my digital cam and take some pics. then figure out how to attach a picture. Sucks being new and figuring out how to navigate :-) I think this will be great - being a member that is.......

Oh I hope you won't kill them. There are people here who are looking for donations for the Cancer center as well as several schools in addition to folks who would just enjoy having them in their tank if they're purple mushrooms.

Please consider putting them out on the forum for sale/trade/free and hopefully you will get a positive response.

Maureen

OK - I need to get a picture out here to verify what they are. If someone can enjoy them - or raise money for charity - I am all for it..........

Yes, they are a very deep purple. I need to find my digital cam and take some pics. then figure out how to attach a picture. Sucks being new and figuring out how to navigate :-) I think this will be great - being a member that is.......

Best way to attach a picture - create a Photobucket account. After you upload the picture - click on the 'image' link, and paste it in here.

bob

bob

OK I have some rock I can break up. What do I use to glue them to the rock? I have had a 90 gallon fish and some reef members for almost 3 years, but have never fragged or glued anything.

OK - I need to get a picture out here to verify what they are. If someone can enjoy them - or raise money for charity - I am all for it..........

THANK YOU!

And welcome to Wamas!

Maureen

Best way to attach a picture - create a Photobucket account. After you upload the picture - click on the 'image' link, and paste it in here.

bob

Purple mushroom:

purplemushroom.jpg

Assorted mushrooms:

mushrooms.jpg

Sorry for picture quality - it's my birthday - I didn't want to clean the tank. So I didn't!

bob

You should think about becoming a paid member and post you items in the "for sale/trade section"

You'll be glad you spent the 20$

Purple mushroom:

purplemushroom.jpg

Assorted mushrooms:

mushrooms.jpg

Sorry for picture quality - it's my birthday - I didn't want to clean the tank. So I didn't!

bob

Ha - happy birthday

first pic looks exactly like what I have - now I need to get some to the childrens center

You should think about becoming a paid member and post you items in the "for sale/trade section"

You'll be glad you spent the 20$

OK - I did pay yesterday - using paypal - but I think I found the 'pay' button before I totally registered.......... i did use the same id and e:mail address to register today that I used to pay yesterday.............. guess I am caught in no mans land........

OK - I did pay yesterday - using paypal - but I think I found the 'pay' button before I totally registered.......... i did use the same id and e:mail address to register today that I used to pay yesterday.............. guess I am caught in no mans land........

Ybenormal Bob will figure it out... I hope...

If nothing happens by tomorrow - send a PM to Ybenormal and explain what transpired.

bob