Good 14K DE bulb

steveoutlaw

I'm using the Outer Orbit 250w HQI + 4x24w T5 fixture over my nano. The stock bulb that came with it is WAAAAAAY too white. What's a good 14 or 15K DE bulb to replace it with?

I'm using the Outer Orbit 250w HQI + 4x24w T5 fixture over my nano. The stock bulb that came with it is WAAAAAAY too white. What's a good 14 or 15K DE bulb to replace it with?

14K Phoenix is what a lot of people I know use.

My pendant uses the 13.5k Megachromes, it's a nice blub, I like it. Some people say it's comparable to the 14K Phoenix. DDiver is selling 2 used 13.5K.

Edited by SeanCallan

Steve, I used the Phoenix 14K in my 250 HQI pendant for four years. Great bulb. I switched to a Ushio bulb this year, just because that's what BRK could get in for me. Also a good bulb. Seems to be a bit bluer than the Phoenix, but still a nice balance.

I know Dr. Foster Smith has been using the Ice Cap mogul type at their LiveAquaria Divers Den site in Wisc. exclusively [14k ones] for last 2 years. The frags they grow and show on site look good to me.

I'll be trying one soon along with a 14k DE 150W

Are they even out yet? I'm a little leary of trying something before there are any reviews out there.

Yes the bulbs are out and can be purchased directly from Icecap. Chris Conty told me he would maintain the Wamas special prices through January. As for the reviews, there aren't any I could find. So after the meeting I asked Calfo about the bulbs. He said that they are very good, PAR wise, when compared to other major name brands. In a nutshel, they averaged same readings, 5% better and 5% less, depending on which brand they were compared to. He also mentionned a few big names (but cannot remember them for my own sake) in the coral farmers industry that run exclusively Icecap bulbs over their systems.

Well then, I guess I'll be ordering one!

At $43.00 it's worth the try. Let me know how it works. Don't forget to use the Icecap order form Gatortailale posted in the member's forum.

Last question. On Icecap's site it says that the bulb is meant to be used with an electronic ballast. The fixture I have has a magnetic ballast. Any idea if this will be an issue?

I called and they said that the bulbs would work great with either the electronic or magnetic ballasts. I guess they are advertising them for use with their electronic ballast.......because they only make electronic ballasts.