Glass Drilling and Hole Saws

sde219

I'm looking to drill holes for a 1/2" Bulkhead (2) and 3/4" Bulkhead (2). I doubt these are the only holes I will ever drill. I suspect I'll use the 1/2" quite a bit more. I know our LFSes carry these and I can order them online. Any guidance on the best quality/price? I see websites (North Coast Marine selling "high use" ones but I'm skeptical because I know most people don't advise using them nearly that much. Any feedback on the matter is welcome!

On a side note, anyone up for helping with this over the weekend of the 20th/21st? Anyone else need holes drilled? I'd consider clearing some space in my garage and grabbing some beverages if there is interest in a little drilling party? Obviously I'd be partial to the schedule of those with skills.

Look up www.glass-holes.com that should do the trick.

David

Have you used their saws? Any idea about the quality of saws and how long they last for? I'm trying to get a little more feedback rather than jump at the cheap ones. Ebay has a ton too.

And David (dschflier) is probably closer to you, also.

As for the video that's over at glassholes.com: I drilled my first tank today - a 20 H that I'm going to use as a refugium - using the same technique shown in the video. The only additional thing that I did was to tape the back side of the glass with duct tape to minimize break out at the end. As for technique, start with the drill at an angle so that you are slowly grinding a slot into the glass and ease the bit into full contact. Don't exert too much pressure - let the grinding action of the bit do the work - and keep the drill rotating at a rather slow, constant speed (200-300 RPM). I used a variable speed drill set at just about the lowest speed it would go and both holes that I drilled were finished in a few minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a wood saw the same size, I found that cutting a hole in a 1/2" plywood, then clamping that to the tank will also keep the bit from moving when you start the cut.

if you haven't drilled your tank yet and want to watch to see how it is done you are welcome to come over my place. I have to drill holes in my 210 today or tomorrow. Let me know if you want to stop by.

David