Build my own light with a t5 commercial fixture??????

octopus

Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on my idea. I'm thinking of buying the light in the link below and buying new bulbs. I'm hoping I can take it apart and retro fit it myself. So what do yall think????????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-Fluorescent-HIGH-LO...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on my idea. I'm thinking of buying the light in the link below and buying new bulbs. I'm hoping I can take it apart and retro fit it myself. So what do yall think????????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-Fluorescent-HIGH-LO...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Oh and it is ul listed for damp locations.

you would also need to replace the reflectors which isnt going to be cheap

My personal opinion is that it would be WAY cheaper and WAY better to just buy a fixture off of wamas. The cost you save by getting that fixture you're going to lose on having to replace the bulbs, get decent reflectors, and odds and ends parts you'll need. Its a great thought though. From one DIYer to another I can't fault you for trying

Problem is I dont have much to spend. :cry:

you would also need to replace the reflectors which isnt going to be cheap

That's where the tin foil comes in! J.K. :lol2:

There is a nova extreme fixture for $120 in the members for sale section. Spend the $20 to join the club, buy the fixture and you will be set

There is a nova extreme fixture for $120 in the members for sale section. Spend the $20 to join the club, buy the fixture and you will be set

Well I plan on joining when the new year starts. Is the light a 72"? Cuz that seems like an awfully cheap price.

Thats what is great about wamas cheap equipment. I don't think its a 6 foot fixture...but isn't the commercial you're looking at a 4 foot fixture?

Yes it is a 4' fixture but I was gonna rip it apart and stagger the bulbs on my hood. But I agree with yall that it would be better to join and buy a fixture from wamas. I just don't wanna join now and only have less than a mounth till I have to pay again.

Yes it is a 4' fixture but I was gonna rip it apart and stagger the bulbs on my hood. But I agree with yall that it would be better to join and buy a fixture from wamas. I just don't wanna join now and only have less than a mounth till I have to pay again.

Just to clarify. Your membership is not calendar based as in Jan Dec period. It is valid for 12 months as of the date you join. You join today, your membership will be valid til Dec 2009.

Unless something has changed you only have to renew based on your join date i.e. you'd re-up next dec

Ohhhhh......ok geeeez I shoulda known that! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You would be better off buying a retro IceCap kit then ebay fixture. Also check on RC there are always guys selling ballasts, endcaps etc for good price.

but yea you should become member so you can see the For Sale section and the deals :)

Honestly, if you don't have the money to get something decent, you should save up until you can get something good. I know waaaayyyyy too many of us here have gone the cheap route in the beginning, and it did nothing but cost us more money in the long run. Trust me, you think you're getting a deal with those lights, but you're not. I'm speaking from experience. Don't buy cheap equipment. Sit and stalk the boards until a good used piece of equipment comes up for sale.

there is a solar flare fixture you can take apart out there somewhere. Actually seriously a retro kit is definately the way to go, if you need help there are plenty of people on here willing to help assemble one i bet.