Can anyone lend me a refractometer for a bit?

FishWife

Does ANYONE have a refractometer that they're not currently using that I could borrow for a few weeks while we continue to plow thru boxes? We misplaced ours in our move (we had to move so fast that someone grabbed the gray case and stuck it in a random spot) and have searched a bunch of places but still have many boxes to go through... We have been putting off a water change, but have a cyno bacteria attack as a result of the move and it's getting ugly in our RSM. Anyone?

Where are you located now?

Still in Gaithersburg; about 15 minutes north of where we were, Jason, in Montgomery Village.

Anyone have a used refractometer for sale?

I HAVE ONE FROM DR F/S AND THE CALIBRATION FLUID, I ONLY USED IT TWICE... I HAVE TROUBLE READING THE NUMBERS (BAD EYES) IT WORKS FINE, BUT I HAVE TO GET MY G/F TO DO IT BC I CANT SEE THE NUMBERS.. IF YOUR INTERESTED LET ME KNOW.... I LIVE IN WOODBRIDGE, WORK IN ALEXANDRIA, AND I WILL BE AT THE MEETING ON THE 6TH...

(edited)
you could borrow mine for two weeks or so if you need it. let me know.

That would be great, Jason. Two weeks SHOULD do it, or I'm just going to get a new one (used). How can we connect?

Thanks anyways, Jason. Going to buy used: $25 for an extra is probably what we'd spend in gas going back and forth, and it relieves me of trying to put too much energy into searching. BUT, I SO appreciate the offer!!!

Edited by FishWife

(edited)
I HAVE ONE FROM DR F/S AND THE CALIBRATION FLUID, I ONLY USED IT TWICE... I HAVE TROUBLE READING THE NUMBERS (BAD EYES) IT WORKS FINE, BUT I HAVE TO GET MY G/F TO DO IT BC I CANT SEE THE NUMBERS.. IF YOUR INTERESTED LET ME KNOW.... I LIVE IN WOODBRIDGE, WORK IN ALEXANDRIA, AND I WILL BE AT THE MEETING ON THE 6TH...

Can you PM me, or post here, with a price in case I need to break down and buy yours?

PS Did you try focusing the numbers? Ours focuses like a microscope: turn the eyepiece. I can't read the numbers on ours either. Just so I'm sure I want it, can you also give me a link from the Dr. F/S website to the product you've got for sale? Is it this one ? Thanks.

Edited by FishWife

(edited)
i WILL LET IT GO FOR $25, HERE IS THE LINK.. AND IT WILL COME WITH THE CALIBRATION SOLUTION AND CARRYING CASE...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=9957

I'll take it, thanks. Too much hassle to go back and forth borrowing. I need to come to the first half of the meeting, and leave by 3 PM or so at the latest. Can we hook up there for sure? Please PM me your name and cell # so we can find each other at the meeting. :wig:

Edited by FishWife

What's wrong with a swing type hydrometer?

They are very inaccurate. In my experience, they run high. I have a nano, and so salinity swings matter more than in larger systems. When we do a weekly water change, it's about 1/6 the volume of the entire setup. Having enjoyed the peace of mind of a refractometer, I'll never go back if I don't have to.

You can come over to my place, I have one that you can borrow that isn't in use right now.. Will PM you my address. Just call ahead of time to give me a heads up. I should be just less than 10 mins away.

Edited by amay121

Calling now, thanks.

Note to self: re-up my WAMAS membership.

You guys are the greatest!

(edited)

Yep, yep, yep. So, we had an old floating hydrometer (this is ancient technology) that we were attempting to use. It said we were right in the safe zone (a green section on a thermometer-like device that floats or sinks due to salinity). Just got Guy's refractometer. Sure enough: our display is .027 'cause the tank was "lighter" on salt than the bucket of water that we'd mixed and wanted to use for a water change. So, we've been topping off with salt (talk about walking blind). So glad we could check! Water change and cyno slurping will commence at 1100 hours tomorrow. Thanks, Guy! :clap:

Edited by FishWife