Onyx Oceanic Tech 120 Bare Bottom

onyx

Wow man thats a great idea stacking those rocks like that! And those Clowns with the eggs and all....great stuff! What are the chances those eggs hatch?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The eggs always hatch and by morning the fry are always gone. I've never seen anyything swimming around.. but one night they are there, and the next morning they are gone.

• 2 months later...

Hey Onux,

Thanks for the request. We haven't done a lot with the tank lately.. it's kinda been on the back burner. Everything is doing well and we've made a few additions.. but some of the frags have gotten knocked off ledges and such and we just haven't put the time into securing everything back where it should be.. but here are a few photos I snapped tonight.

009.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks. No, it actually has been moving all over that rock column for a few weeks now. It stayed there for months and now it seems irritated. I thought it was going to split a few times, but it just keeps moving around it.

• 4 weeks later...

In-Wall Setup

We finally setup our 120g in an in-wall setup. It has been a lot of work but so far it's been worth it. I pretty much hit a snag at every possible point, which has caused some delays, but everyone made it through the transfer and we didn't lose any fish or corals.

This is how the room looked when I started. I moved an electrical outlet that was installed so it would not interfere with the view of the tank.

242.jpg

Cutting the hole out in the wall was not as bad as I thought it would be. I only had to cut through two 2x4s to make it work. The measuring took the most amount of time. My drywall cutting skills are lacking.

243.jpg

I made the stand myself as the Tech 120 stand was too low for this setup. After a few minor mishaps I finally got it done and think it came out pretty good. It's perfectly level and the tank trim fits flush on every side which is something I was worried about when building.

244.jpg

The plumbing needed to be replaced as I was an idiot and did not use unions the first time. The sad news, I am still an idiot and did not use unions the second time.

245.jpg

Trim installed and leveled correctly. We are going to paint it and the walls to make it look nicer. The cups and rock are to hold the starboard in place.

246.jpg

And finally a view of the tank in place and all corals and fish back into their home. I still need to place the corals properly and fix the lighting and such, but it's running and the fish are happy to be back. The photo is off the tank is not that color blue, but it shows the placement of the setup and I'll get better photos once it's all done.

247.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do, but so far we are both very happy with the progress. I thought this would be a good starter project for the 240g that will eventually replace the 120g. I did not install front access for this tank, but that is something I would like to figure out for the 240g (which is a long way away at this point). Next up is finishing the lighting and electrical, and figuring out if I need to run a venting system to draw out excess humidity.

I'll update some more photos once the room is finished and the tank is back to looking decent.

Looks great.........and hey you get another go around at plumbing the 240!

Cant wait to see it all cleaned p and Finished!

Thanks guys, I will update photos once we get more done.

Smoothtriqueter: You got that right man lol.

Be sure to run extra carbon until the paint smell is all gone.

Oh, looks great as an inwall.

Edited by GSM

In-Wall Setup

We finally setup our 120g in an in-wall setup. It has been a lot of work but so far it's been worth it. I pretty much hit a snag at every possible point, which has caused some delays, but everyone made it through the transfer and we didn't lose any fish or corals.

This is how the room looked when I started. I moved an electrical outlet that was installed so it would not interfere with the view of the tank.

242.jpg

Cutting the hole out in the wall was not as bad as I thought it would be. I only had to cut through two 2x4s to make it work. The measuring took the most amount of time. My drywall cutting skills are lacking.

243.jpg

I made the stand myself as the Tech 120 stand was too low for this setup. After a few minor mishaps I finally got it done and think it came out pretty good. It's perfectly level and the tank trim fits flush on every side which is something I was worried about when building.

244.jpg

The plumbing needed to be replaced as I was an idiot and did not use unions the first time. The sad news, I am still an idiot and did not use unions the second time.

245.jpg

Trim installed and leveled correctly. We are going to paint it and the walls to make it look nicer. The cups and rock are to hold the starboard in place.

246.jpg

And finally a view of the tank in place and all corals and fish back into their home. I still need to place the corals properly and fix the lighting and such, but it's running and the fish are happy to be back. The photo is off the tank is not that color blue, but it shows the placement of the setup and I'll get better photos once it's all done.

247.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do, but so far we are both very happy with the progress. I thought this would be a good starter project for the 240g that will eventually replace the 120g. I did not install front access for this tank, but that is something I would like to figure out for the 240g (which is a long way away at this point). Next up is finishing the lighting and electrical, and figuring out if I need to run a venting system to draw out excess humidity.

I'll update some more photos once the room is finished and the tank is back to looking decent.

Oh WOW, That's amazing. All of it. Great job. :clap:

GSM: Thanks, that's a good idea I will do that.

Ziggy: Yea, it's us. Well mostly me (clown). Gf kinda got mad at me about the whole RC thread thing so I've been doing the updates... which is why this thread sucks lol.

Jan: Thanks, it's gettig there.

Here are some updated photos from tonight of some ORA frags we just got from MS.

ORA Bird of Paradise

248.jpg

ORA Red Planet

249.jpg

ORA Green Birdsnest

251.jpg

ORA Borealis

252.jpg

ORA Blue Voodoo

255.jpg

Green/Teal Acro Unknown

254.jpg

Purple Grape Cap

250.jpg

Updated FTS from tonight.

256.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to take a good photo with the light of the tank and the room at the same time. But, here are some progress photos. Molding, trim and carpet still need to go up.

257.jpg

258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

you de man..........nice job on the tank. the frags you gave me are doing well so far thanx again

and by de way.......Do you have any Grey Poupon? :cool:

(edited)

lol.. your crazy bro. Nice limo mr. big roller. Glad to hear the frags are doing well. After you left my gf was like what is grey poupon? Makes me feel old lol.

Edited by onyx

• 1 month later...