Nice new lights....

Leishman

They are by Elos. My only question is the light output on them. Is it 18 LED's that put out a combined total of 80-100 lumens? Or is that 80-100 lumens per single led bulb x 18? Anyone know?

What is the difference between lumen output on leds vs mh wattage output? How do you measure what would be good for your tank size?

Edited by audible

They are by Elos. My only question is the light output on them. Is it 18 LED's that put out a combined total of 80-100 lumens? Or is that 80-100 lumens per single led bulb x 18? Anyone know?

What is the difference between lumen output on leds vs mh wattage output? How do you measure what would be good for your tank size?

I really hope that's 80-100 lumens per LED... Otherwise, it probably won't be enough.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22312

Also, remember that the lumen ratings are measure right next to the light. Air and water(especially) absorb light like a sponge, so while you may be producing 100 Lumens per Watt (150W = 15000 Lumens) you will only measure a fraction of that under water.

I would go with the age old "5W per gallon" barrometer. It's not really scientific, but if your talking MH and high-end LEDs, then using it will help ensure you have enough light.

Lumen output on LEDs can be about the same for lumen output from MHs. Wattage is the key if both types of lights have about the same efficiency (lumens per watt). However, that depends greatly on the type of LED you have. Some LEDs are more efficient than MHs, other's don't even hold a candle to them.

There's a table on this page that shows the different types of lights and their Luminous Efficacy (efficiency)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy.

I think the lights look great and very sleek. But I read some reviews concerning the reliability of the LED fixtures. Apparently the LED are designed to function in bundles. when one goes out an entire bundle will burn out. I am sure ELOS will figure it out though.

Jesse of Elos USA snapped these photos of the new Elos System Mini and e-lite LED clamp on pendent. While we do like the slim nature and choice of materials

Ok... So I'm a little skeptic about the use of LED's. Is there any actual documented PROOF that these LED fixtures popping up left and right produce the amount of light they claim or is everyone just wanting them because they "look pretty"? I'm asking because from what I've read, they do not meet standards and do not put out the amount of light manufactures have been claiming.

Here is a good read about LED lighting. http://patmullins.com/ledlightmyths.html

I started looking at these bulbs which screw into your standard house light fixture because I found them doing a search for more info on the Elos LED lights... http://eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/cree-110-e26.html

If the Elos lights (and the other LED fixtures popping up lately) only put out 80 lumens and these put out 240 lumens, what makes the Elos lights and fixtures like it so great and so expensive? I can think of a thousand different ways to use this bulb if in fact LED's offer any real benefit to our tanks.

Now, I'm sure there has to be something I'm missing, so can someone who actually knows anything about LED's and uses them on their tank please set up with some helpful answers. Perhaps provide specs of your lights and show pics of your corals under them?

Thanks.

Edited by audible

Jesse of Elos USA snapped these photos of the new Elos System Mini and e-lite LED clamp on pendent. While we do like the slim nature and choice of materials
Edited by audible

I really hope that's 80-100 lumens per LED... Otherwise, it probably won't be enough.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22312

Integral9, thanks for the link. It's not what I'm looking for though. To be honest, I am getting the same effect from my PC lighting over my nano... I only have some zoas, xenia and a pink favia in there for now, but all are as colorful, if not more. Sorry, it was hard to tell from your pics in your thread. I still see no benefit to go with LED's.

Although, you'll find in the LED myth link I posted, the reason why you experienced an increase in light output once you started running the fan full time. Heat kills output from LED's according to what I've read on that site.

My LEDs: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22905

Lots of technical info there. Let me know if you want more.

Those are one watt Luxeon LEDs, 45 lumens each; they are no longer the most efficient - you can now get Cree XR-E R2 LEDs at 117 lumens per watt.

I am happy with my LEDs (especially the shimmer) but am planning to upgrade for better heat management & higher efficiency. If you want home-made LEDs, now would be a good time to PM me. Based on what I've learned, I plan to use blue fluorescent bulbs backed up by white LEDs.

Spectrum. Do LEDs have the right spectrum? Do fluorescents? They are, in fact, practically identical.

A fluorescent arc emits mostly ultra-violet light. The reason it looks white (or actinic) is because the tube is coated with phosphors - the phosphors absorb the UV light from the arc running down the tube and fluoresce visible light.

A white LED die (the little silicon bit that does the emitting) emits blue light, then passes it through silicon doped with similar phosphors; LEDs gain efficiency here because the die (and therefore the phosphors) can be tuned to a narrower wavelength than fluorescents.

Now, you could make white light with various wavelengths of LED, and custom-build your spectrum - I used additional royal blue (450nm) because the LEDs are WC bin (6500-7000K) white LEDs.

I'll have my wife take some more pictures and post updates in that thread.

Paul

Edited by paenian

Thanks for the link and nice job, :happy: but as I said before I'm not looking for a DIY set up. I'm looking for someone who has one of these manufactured fixtures that is growing healthy SPS (Digita doesn't count).

I run MH's over my bigger tank. I just want to see one of these LED units out perform a well set up MH unit. I don't think it can. And if it can't, why would anyone pay $1,500 -$3,000+ for an LED light other than to be able say they can or that it's "pretty"?

Also, I saw no significant increase in my electric bill when I started running the MH's. It's been running now for 3 years. I run a small fan over my sump timed with the metal halides to keep the temp in check. It's about as easy, cheap and effective as it gets. So I'm not yet swayed... The LED's do look really cool. I'll give them that. I like the clean look and takes it to a more modern level. I'm not a fan of canopy tops on tank these days and prefer the more open look, so I do like the ones this thread was started over (except the plastic clamps, but I understand why they are how they are. At least they are clear).

Sorry for the thread jack, lol.

On another note, the diy stuff is cool. I just don't need it personally.

Edited by audible

I've got a green & red monti cap, efflo, montipora spumosa, galaxia, a brain, birds nest and frogspawn, growing well despite the tank's phosphate issues (although the BN did get partially eaten by cyano). Anything else you'd like me to try? Right now we're actually moving tanks & redoing our filtration, so perhaps in a month we'll be ready to test out some frags :-P

I like DIY a lot... just makes me feel better when it's all done. Plus the commercial LED fixtures are ridiculously expensive. Once we've moved tanks and recovered from the holidays there will be fancy new lights under construction, and I'll be trying hard to look more professional :-P

As far as cost savings go, LEDs are only slightly more efficient than metal halides, although LEDs gain a good bit more in the ballast department. One big difference is that LEDs don't heat the tank, so no chiller (very important to me inside a condo).

Paul

I've got a green & red monti cap, efflo, montipora spumosa, galaxia, a brain, birds nest and frogspawn, growing well despite the tank's phosphate issues (although the BN did get partially eaten by cyano). Anything else you'd like me to try? Right now we're actually moving tanks & redoing our filtration, so perhaps in a month we'll be ready to test out some frags :-P

I like DIY a lot... just makes me feel better when it's all done. Plus the commercial LED fixtures are ridiculously expensive. Once we've moved tanks and recovered from the holidays there will be fancy new lights under construction, and I'll be trying hard to look more professional :-P

As far as cost savings go, LEDs are only slightly more efficient than metal halides, although LEDs gain a good bit more in the ballast department. One big difference is that LEDs don't heat the tank, so no chiller (very important to me inside a condo).

Paul

Paul, I definitely dig the lights you made and I'm all for DIY. I'm only looking to compare the fixtures companies are selling to us against metal halides. Other than the heat factor, I'm really trying to find a way to justify the costs... I think what would be better is a comparison between these high dollar fixtures and a diy set up. :happy: Not comparing style or accessories; just performance. I understand once these sell off the shelf more as demand rises the cost will go down.

I live in a condo (for the next couple of weeks anyway) and I only use an Azoo fan over my sump to keep temps down while the metal halides run. The only problem I have is with evaporation, but it's manageable. I'd love to see the new light set up you create so definitely post a new thread when you start on them.

Hi to everybody :-)

I'm Dani from Italy and I'm very reef addicted man, from one year I collaborate with Elos to answer to people into some forum, I saw the link to my site and I come to visit this forum.

I hope that adding these graphs was a nice addition to discussion

Here the graph of Elos E-lite with 3 blue leds, and all the others white (salt water version)

eloselite3blusl6.jpg

The graph of two versions of E-lite to compare, salt water one (with 3 blue led) and freash water one

eloselitecomparisontn4.jpg

The distribution of light (max power at 75 mm=1.590 micromol s-1 m2)

eliteau2.jpg

And to finish the photos of one Montipora sp. after 3 months of E-lite

montiporasystemmini2od5.jpg

Welcome to Wamas, Dani! Thanks for your post.

thanks to you :-)

Hoping to be useful

Thanks for adding to our discussion. Is there a link where we can find a distributor for the lights and pricing information? It's hard to find separate information on them alone. That or I suck at searching. :tongue: All I can come up with are the 20 gallon tank combos.

Thanks for adding to our discussion. Is there a link where we can find a distributor for the lights and pricing information? It's hard to find separate information on them alone. That or I suck at searching. :tongue: All I can come up with are the 20 gallon tank combos.

As far as I know the european price is, plus vat

E-LITE

TELIT80S PLE E-LITE 80 - SILVER 449,00 euro

TELIT80B PLE E-LITE 80 - BLACK 449,00 euro

TELIT80W PLE E-LITE 80 - WHITE 599,00 euro

TELITCFA PLE E-LITE CORNER FIXING ARM 75,00 euro

TELITDFA PLE E-LITE DUAL FIXING ARM 40,00 euro

TELITSFA PLE E-LITE SUSPENSION ARM 50,00 euro

To contact USA distributor you can go here: http://www.eloseurope.com/en/index.php?opt...0&Itemid=81

Edited by ***dani***

Here is a tank running the Solaris LEDs only. Has been operational for over a year. the pictures are not as colorful as the tank is in person.

james-led-1.gif

james-led-2.gif

james-led-3.gif

james-led-4.gif

james-led-5.gif

SPS corals were growing fine more than 2ft from the light.

sanjay.