Using up old chemicals?

Bob

I have run out of the Alk part of my 3 part additives. Until I get more; anybody have thoughts on me using

Seachem Reef builder (Raises carbonate alkalinity) to maintain Alkalinity until I can get my normal additives?

I assumed I would reconstitute with distilled water and use in place of normal. Can I mix a whole bottle ahead and not worry about one or two week shelf life?

I assume everybody has bunches of old stuff (chemicals and additives) they dont use anymore or have discontinued using over the years. I guess I am trying to be thrifty and a run to LFS does not seem to be convenient at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts Bob :idea:

As long as there isn't a disclaimer on the bottle I see no need to waste good product. Imagine how long some of the other chemicals sit on the shelfs in the LFS.

Back in the day, we used to have trashcan parties. You bring somethin, I bring somethin, etc. Mix it all together and dose ourselves. It worked for us- I'm sure it'll be ok for a reef.

In my day we called that a bathtub party fill a tub with ice then drop your beer and a way we go. :cheers: But back to the subject I think your chemicals will be okay if sitting on the shelf for an extended period of time. I did notice the brightwell bottle did state not to use one year after bottle has been opened.